Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 AM   #1

Anyone added a single removable seat?

I'm thinking about adding 1 removable captains chair to my 05 GTRV. It has enough room I think if I mount one up next to side entry door behind front captains chairs and in front of rear bench seat
Where do I get one? And is it feasible? I want to be able to remove it

4x4kayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:19 AM   #2

Re: Anyone added a single removable seat?

GTRV I would imagine, if you want it to match.

Here is one I looked at when I was shopping, an SMB, but it had the seat configuration you're talking about:

Removing I imagine involves bolts, or some highly creative adaptation of Ford's bench seat hardware.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #3

Ford vans with chataeu/traveller/premium seating, which includes 4 captains chairs, have quick release 2nd-row captains chairs.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:58 PM   #4

What about an up front centre console seat? Where do I get one from?
Old 07-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #5

I put two captain chairs in mine, and two in my buddy's van. The are both homebuilt converted cargo types. I also put one in Aldercrest's SMB built Voyager top. Rivnuts with backer plates or nuts welded to backer plates riveted in place allow you to fully remove the actual seat base which is nice if you don't want it in there. Van Specialties sells a cool seat base that you can retrofit to most captains chairs. It swivels and is removable. You can quite often find Chateau seats with the quick release bases for sale too.

Scour Craigslist for seats. Feel free to give me a buzz when you find one and I can talk you through the process or even weld you up a backer plate with bolts for a couple beers.

3/16 or 1/4" plate 2-3" wide with the bolt welded on the bottom works well and prevents the bolt from pulling through the floor in an impact. The shoulder belts are relatively easy to retrofit too once you have the parts. Another buddy installed a couple of shoulder belt anchors in an evening without much trouble.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #6

I fitted the center console/jump seat from a Honda oddessy to the ambulance. It was part of a 3 piece kit a guy in Phoenix sells for about $250 (2 leather buckets and 1 console) new. It doubles as a console and has a quick detach base but is fairly narrow (but does have the mounting for a childs seat). When I get a chance I will use the uppers of the buckets to replace the existing ford buckets (or install them as quick release so it is easier to get and work on the engine).

As a previous poster suggested, I used 1/4 plates with captive nuts welded onto them under the floor. These are then held in place by another set of bolts so that the upper latch mounting bracket can be removed if required. It also helped to have a full plate as one part of the mounting was covered by a heat shield which would of been a PITA to remove/refit.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/pts/2489094211.html

Otherwise Discount Van and Truck have them in various sizes and mounting frames.

http://www.discountvantruck.com/cent...nsoleseats.htm

2001 Dakar 650
2000 Dakar 650
TW 200 pit pig.
Ozrockrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 PM   #7

Awesome thanks for all these! I'm going to swing by a wreckers yard and see if I can find a seat
Old 07-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #8

Great news! I found a matching mint condition seat for $30 bucks from a wreckers yard, yanked this seat from a ford windstar van!! and front 2 bolts lined up with the frame tubing!
I still eventually want to find some sort of quick release thru-bolt so I can disconnect from inside van and not have to climb under and remove sheeting and unscrew bolts! one bolt sits under my battery and is a #!#! to remove. Here is my son happy he can now be included in conversation as we cruise down the road:
Attached Thumbnails
van_seat.JPG  
Old 07-19-2011, 09:13 AM   #9

And actually see out the driver's side of the van!