Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2013, 12:24 AM   #1

Anyone had their microwave fall out?

I had my microwave fall out of the compartment, breaking the wiring in the back. This was during a stretch of washboard road....it has been on many before with no issues. It looks like it was only secured in the cabinet with two holes in the front/bottom for the little microwave feet to fit in.

Does anyone have a better remedy? Suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

jeepone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:23 AM   #2

Re: Anyone had their microwave fall out?

My microwave (a Galanz model) just has two flanges for the front feet to sit in screwed into the platform it rests on. Yes, mine bounced out, too.

My solution was to get some fairly stiff foam, about 3x8 inches, from a shipping box that a computer hard drive came in. I folded the foam in half to double the thickness. I wedged this into the space between the top of the micro and the underside of the shelf above the microwave.

So far, so good, as it has held the microwave in place in the flanges on some pretty washboarded roads. Not elegant or pretty, but cheap and effective.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by photographix
My microwave (a Galanz model) just has two flanges for the front feet to sit in screwed into the platform it rests on. Yes, mine bounced out, too.

My solution was to get some fairly stiff foam, about 3x8 inches, from a shipping box that a computer hard drive came in. I folded the foam in half to double the thickness. I wedged this into the space between the top of the micro and the underside of the shelf above the microwave.

So far, so good, as it has held the microwave in place in the flanges on some pretty washboarded roads. Not elegant or pretty, but cheap and effective.
I had the same problem and same solution
one of the points to do better in future, but soooo many points before
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #4

Mine actually came, I assume from SMB, with some carpet covered 1x2s that were used to wedge the microwave into the cabinet on each side. Puts just enough pressure on the cabinet sides to hold it in place firmly. Sounds like it's similar to the computer hardware packing foam.

I noticed this when I had to remove said microwave to replace the TV mount. Reinstalled without issue and virtually no movement from the microwave at all, no matter how rough the roads.
scottman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottman
Mine actually came, I assume from SMB, with some carpet covered 1x2s that were used to wedge the microwave into the cabinet on each side. Puts just enough pressure on the cabinet sides to hold it in place firmly. Sounds like it's similar to the computer hardware packing foam.

I noticed this when I had to remove said microwave to replace the TV mount. Reinstalled without issue and virtually no movement from the microwave at all, no matter how rough the roads.
So THAT'S what those are! When we bought our SMB (second hand) I found a couple of those in the van stuck in odd places, like in the bins of the rear doors and under the drivers seat.

The PO of our SMB was kind of a duct tape/rubber band fixer of things, and never mentioned these fabric covered blocks. He had apparently stuffed a crunchy handkerchief into the space above the microwave at some point, which had migrated to the open space behind the micro and was no longer serving its intended purpose. I disposed of this fabric wad with a pair of pliers. Ick.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:49 AM   #6

Thanks for all the replies! Ill see what I can rig up.
jeepone007 is offline   Reply With Quote