Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #1

Argh, halp - problem with shower box lock

I opened the shower box this morning, no issues. Later I used the wrong key (exactly same blank, but a different pattern, for something else on the van) which seems to have caused some tumblers to stick. I didn't force it in, but now the right key feels totally loose in the lock.

The box is color matched to the van, so I don't want to damage the lid. I've put both WD and silicon spray into it to try to loosen things up (haven't tried anything stronger in case it damages the plastic door).

I've also jiggled the key and tapped the lid a bit near the lock. No joy, the key just wont turn.

Any ideas before I head for a locksmith to drill it out?

(sorry if in wrong forum... pls move if so)

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:18 PM   #2

Re: Argh, halp - problem with shower box lock

I'm guessing it's similar to this, just a cheap file cabinet tumbler. It shouldn't be hard to open- why there is a key in the first place I can't imagine.

I'd start with a putty knife between the door and either try to knock the flat bar sideways or pry/pop them apart (depending on how deep the tab goes into the rim). If the door is flexible, you can wedge something in the sides to increase the bend, like a C shape, which will draw the bar out as it increases.

It's a super cheap style lock and shouldn't be hard to turn the barrel in the door if you can't get the tab to release.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage

I'm guessing it's similar to this, just a cheap file cabinet tumbler. It shouldn't be hard to open- why there is a key in the first place I can't imagine.
I'm surprised there could be a wrong key. My weekend warrior trailer had cargo bays keyed the same as everybody else's RV in the world it seemed like. And, the same key also opened all the electrical panels at work, as well as my desk.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #4

OK, thanks for ideas. Turning the lock in the door, with a big screwdriver, worked fine. It just deformed the door slightly. I was able to pop the barrel out, and cleaned it out quickly, so it opens fine now.

I'm going to replace it with a little "wingnut" handle I saw at the RV parts place that fits in place of a cabinet lock. It isn't like the bears are going to open it and take a shower!

I think the previous owner has replaced some locks and not others, so there is a mix of keys.

I also fixed my shower leak today, it was the vacuum break. I used a "Phoenix Faucets" vacuum break p/n 9-412-13, from the RV dealer, $4 or something. Fit perfectly, 5 minute job.

Then there was all kinds of water under the truck, the drain cock on the water tank was open!!

I got the water pump to cycle off, there was air in the line on the hot water side (had this issue at my boat the other day).

So, water system all working fine now, on to propane system next!!!

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote