Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2009, 08:14 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Re: Awning Brackets Failure

Time to put this issue to sleep. Since I felt unsafe with the stock SMB mounting system, I was originally going for Eli's Brackets. Eli was nice enough to send me brackets to try out and see what the body shop can do. (Thanks Eli!) The brackets worked well, but filling the holes that SMB put on the body, will require the body shop to disassemble the interior which will cost an extra $1500 to do.

If I have opted for this option, the body shop can either use a nut and bolt system through the van wall, instead of SMB's expanding nut, or weld it shut so they can install Eli's brackets.

Here the bad part; my insurance company will not cover the cost of our repairs because thier body shop says that it was SMB's workmanship that caused the brackets to failed. They stated that the awning should have been destroyed before the mounting system should fail. They inspected how they mounted the awning and they said it was a "Mickey Mouse" job and they would NEVER install an awning that heavy the way SMB does. The cost for body work, awning repair, new mounts that SMB would have charged us was $4500.00! (+$1500 to disassemble the interior if we went that route.)

I talked to our insurance company and told them that SMB did not think they were responsible for the awning and installation error on our less than one year old Rig that has never even touched a washboard road. The Insurance company decided to at least subsidized the cost by buying us a new Fiamma awning. We ended up paying $3500 for the body work.

Since we already have the nice 4 holes from the awning mounts, we decided to have SMB use their mounts and have them install the awning with the condition of re-enforcing them. They replaced our mounts free of charge and installed the new awning free of charge

Here's the fix: Hope this works better.

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #22

Good for you Ray ,
I don't know if you saw my solution for those spots that you are unable to stake your uprights but are brackets are working great and I have tested them without tie downs employed to a true 30 knot wind the weekend before last on the Upper Owens River . The other nice feature is that you can move the Van with the Penthouse and Awning up (Very Slowly ) of course .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33

Hi Greg,

I was super interested on that, but we have the electric AMP Step. I wouldn't even know how to mount it on a retractable step like that. Any ideas???

Ray

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #24
Site Team

Garage

Ray, unfortunately my van was the beta tester for those plates. You need to check the plates water tight with a hose. Mine leaked at first. Water leaked inside the wall and came out around the window and solar controller. As far as I know I haven't had any more problems to date.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote