Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 01:24 AM   #1

awning mount on pop up top?

Hi,
did anyone out there tested to mount the awning on the side of the pop up top? I think it should be ok and a lot of problems are gone.
I do not like the mount of my awning (same as usual at all smbīs) because of the bad fixation and the tent has to go upwards because of the side doors. That makes no sence for me if it is raining...

schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Site Team

Re: awning mount on pop up top?

An awning could be mounted to the PH top, but it wouldn't be very practical to use the awning if the top was up. The awning would require very long support legs, and to roll the awning back in, or out, would likely require lowering the PH top. Also, with the awning deployed so high, the awning wouldn't provide much shade unless the sun was directly overhead.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

You are absolut right, it will not work to open or close the awning if the top is up. I did not remeber that it need handwork. I just thought to screw it out and in...
But apart of that, if i have a look to the pic below it is not a big difference in length of the legs i think. And depending where the sun is on the sky maybe it is better the awning going down?

sorry to take the pic from the forum!
Attached Thumbnails
z.jpg  
Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #4

awning mount on pop up top?

Check out LenS's van. He did exactly that.

viewtopic.php?t=7057

Brent
Old 02-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #5

Brent, thanks for the link!
I see a lot of pros and cons.....i have to make praktical experience befor i will change it maybe
Didi
Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #6

Hey that photo is my ex-SMB! Taken at Usal Beach on California's Lost Coast during our maiden voyage. (Trivia time: I just found out that Usal stands for USA Lumber.) Feel free to use any photo from any gallery, that is what they are there for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer
Hi,
did anyone out there tested to mount the awning on the side of the pop up top? I think it should be ok and a lot of problems are gone.
I do not like the mount of my awning (same as usual at all smbīs) because of the bad fixation and the tent has to go upwards because of the side doors. That makes no sence for me if it is raining...
Just to let you know, once I had SMB reinforce the awning bracket, I never had any problem after that. That includes miles and miles of washboard roads.

And on the issue of rain. You might think the way the awning slopes that there is a problem but not really. First of all, if there is any wind with the rain (usually the case), you do not want to have the awning deployed. Secondly, the ponding water never (in my experience) makes it back to the van edge of the awning. It will run-off the sides before it gets there. You might have a little dripping from direct rainfall, but not enough to worry about closing the doors. I used to work on my van in my driveway with the awning deployed and raining without any problems at all.
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

Mounting to the PH could become a factor if a burst of high wind took you by surprise. It's bad enough if it causes body damage the way SMB installs them when it becomes a sail. I've had mine up in some fairly high winds and as long as the legs are guyed and staked well I didn't mind the buffeting but hooked to the top with it up would be a concern IMO.

But I guess it matters what you use it for. I use my awning as a shelter against cold and rain more than sun.

Take away the wind factor, having it mounted on the PH has some good benefits. The angle will sure eliminate any water pooling and looks like light snow would probably slide right off.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote