Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Bench seat conversion kit

Anybody know of a kit or or other diy hack to convert your standard E350 bench seat into a sleeper? It’d be for my small kiddos that don’t know any better and are just happy to be in the desert. I’d prefer using a stock bench setup instead of replacing with aftermarket. Thoughts?

Manchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:29 PM   #2

I don't believe such a kit exists. Someone here was experimenting with fabricating brackets but not sure if they were successful.

I found my sleeper bench seat on Craigslist for about $100. Old conversion van bench seat. I needed to drill new holes in the floor to mount it with steel backing plates. They are flush mounted in my floating floor and the bench seat is removable. I bought conversion van style seat belts and am mounting those to the bench seat so they come out with the seat rather than staying attached to the floor. Soon I will get the seat reupholstered with fresh foam. When all is said and done, I'll probably be in for around 500-600 on this thing. Still cheaper than the new options out there that I found. Spent a lot of time though getting things right...
thejm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #3

I have pulled a couple of tri-folds out of conversion vans from junk yards. Both were powered and functional for under $100. Check the vehicle inventory at some nearby yards.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #4

I attempted it with some brackets I found for a Westy. I don't think I ever finished that project. Gee, I wonder where it is?

Several here have modified existing benches, both fold down and not, and some have built fold down benches from wood. Builds that come to mind are

Boywonder's E350 home build
MgMetalworks Transit build
Rockbender's Chevy AWD build

.....more will come to mind I'm sure.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote