Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #1

Best rainy day comforts or space expansions

I know there are a few best of lists on the site but I'm interested in what creative things people have done for rainy days? I'm talking about things you did to make an entire day spent in your SMB/camp much better. Laptops, DVD players, and books are all easy. What other creative things have you done to increase interior space, create exterior sheltered space, new toys other than those mentioned? I have yet to have a long enough trip where I would wait out the weather but I forsee it in my future. Any sage like advise?

One thing we are considering:
-A trap/tent of sorts which anchors to the sides of the SMB and comes out like half an army tent which can be staked into the ground, anchored to trees, or even anchored to other cars. I've done this sort of thing with a 20'x20' tarp in the Utah Desert between cars (to escape sun) and in British Columbia and Washington State between trees in rain storms. Kind of like this but without the bells and whistle for about $100. I'm wondering if anyone has done this sort of thing?

Old 09-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #2

Re: Best rainy day comforts or space expansions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrasclimber
I'm interested in what creative things people have done for rainy days?
Well, I can think of one thing, but it can get expensive when you factor in the subsequent costs of having to pay for diapers, formula, college educations, etc.

sailquik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #3

We've sat out under the awning during rainy days. Rain gear and keep going is our normal choice.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #4

If not raining TO hard, we put on rain gear and keep going.

When we had young kids with us we also always had a screen house with storm flaps. Picnic table in it and a Colman lantern for light and heat (drive off the dampness) and we would play games. We always packed a game bag with 8-12 different games in it. Shut The Box, Uno, Old Maid, regular cards, Yatze (sp), etc.

Now w/o kids anymore we take Mexican Train and other more adult board games. Wife also takes her sawing machine and project to work on for rainy days. I always have a tool box if not fixing something I end up breaking something so it has to be fixed We do have movies on DVD's with us but find we seldom take them out of the box.

With digital cameras we always have LARGE amounts of photo's to edit and those with the laptop can suck up many hours.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #5

We're pretty much locked in the van with no awning or porch... my one awning attempt didn't work so well and although the 2'x3' patch of dry ground left in the morning was nice, it wasn't much for activities.

Our favorite rainy day activity is to crank up the heater and eat ice cream. We also have a bin of small games (card decks, Greed$ dice, etc) so there is variation without taking up too much space. We almost never take the DVD player or laptop, because we'd rather be reading anyway.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:49 PM   #6

I use a Kelty Carport. It provides 100sq. Ft. of cover outside the side door. It can be set on it's poles or dropped down creating a 1/2 tent with sides. It takes about 20 minutes to put up and take down. It's made to strap to a roof rack on an SUV so I attached 4 stainless steel drawer pulls along the roof inboard of the drip rail. When the penthouse top is down they clear the outer edge and the canvas. I saw another thread where a yakima tower rack had been modified to attach to the drip rail with the bar running length wise. This works but is cumbersome and raises the top which allows the weather to get in. The drawer pulls keep the top close to the top of the van. We used this top for 2 days last spring in a nice rain pour that kept us close. Built my camp fire just beyond the outer edge and stayed dry and warm.http://www.rei.com/product/732929
07 BMW 525xi wagon
Christopher Thwaites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:56 PM   #7

Awesome! Thanks for the tips. As I read I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of card games like Uno and dominos games. I’ve never played Mexican Train but will checkout what is needed in addition to a set of dominos and printout the rules. To the thrift store and garage sales it is!

I like the idea of the kelty tent just got a little sticker shock from the price. Then again I can get it and bring it back to R.eturn E.verything I.ncorperated if I don't like it after a year or three.

Jage having setup up some impromptu rain shelters myself, it was painful to see the fruits of your effort maybe because reminds me of similar efforts I’ve made. However, I still really like the idea I think you just needed more fabric to work with. I do have to say your little setup did kind of spur the idea for an outdoor shower for me. A little curtain across between the doors and the shower head from the sink with the hot water heater on. Basically, all we need is something like a 30" x 30" x 72" tarp. and a way to connect to the doors.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
Site Team

Garage

Well I guess this kind of qualifies as a project, DIY, or Known Issue, so I’ll throw in my 2 cents worth. Have a fire, kick back, and enjoy.

But, I prefer not to be attached to the van. Normally I want to leave camp to explore during most any weather. So I would rather head out. What I do want is a dry place to return to where I can cook and also warm up in some way. I've used those pop up shelter over the past years but they take up a lot of space, are heavy, and usually take 2 people to set up. I now have a screen tent that is weather proof but is also somewhat heavy and is messy if I have to break camp in wet weather. This is the best for comfort that I've found by using a propane fire inside. But I have always been able to set up a reasonable lean to with a cheap heavy duty plastic tarp and flat nylon rope.

The lean-to is not too messy to put away in wet weather and provides good shelter especially if you add nylon side panels. In this situation I set up the lean-to high over a wood fire. Sometimes I rig off my trailer, a table, or rock, but usually I use trees.

I carry a Pit-2-go (as seen here without the lean-to) when a fire place is not to be found but you’ve got to gather wood.
It works good for 2 or 3 people but you're still exposed to the elements somewhat. This is more of a place for drinking beer around a fire and having a fine cigar, not playing Fish with the kids. It does have the advantage of being very lightweight, compact, fairly quick to deploy and cost about 30 bucks.

Actually the propane fire has been great when used in the screen shelter. It's dry, warm, has plenty of space, and allows me to come and go as I please. No need to haul wood and there is no worry about embers burning a hole in an expensive set up. The drawback is if you don't like the smell of a propane fire and you can't roast hot dogs, jiffy pop, or marshmallow's over the fire

Kids and adults love some kind of fire...right?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:34 PM   #9

I reckon my oztent would classify as an extension for rainy days...
+ 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero Hirsch
+ 1972 Saab 96 V4 (not running)
+ fixed house (Argh)
saabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #10

We purchased this from busdepot.com for $119. It is designed for VW's so the clamps provided would not work on the Ford gutter but I use 3 S-hooks from the hardware store to attach it to the bungee on the penthouse top (pictures are in my gallery.) It is easy to put up and takes up very little storage space. It provides about an 8'x8' dry are and is great for kicking off muddy shoes before getting into the van.

http://busdepot.com/details/awning.jsp

John