Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #11

Garage
Re: Brake Upgrade for Quigley 4X4

How hard is it to re-drill the rotors and what's involved?

4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:14 PM   #12

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
Mill and rotary table...

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
They are not re-drilled. They are machined/turned to give clearance for the ABS sensor to fit.

Please see: http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewto ... =3&t=11185

You can request the diagram from Quigley. They sent it to me. The relief is in two places (two radiuses) inside the hat, sort of near the inner edge of the rotor and inside stud face.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:19 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldemettle
I enjoyed talking with the developer Warren Gilliland and watching while his number two man - Bob Rooney did the

Old 02-27-2014, 06:37 AM   #15
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Just to clarify, as it seems there are a few different configurations quigley used over the years. I've got an '03, my front end is from an '03 F-350. I may be wrong, but there seems to be 2 ways to approach rotor replacements on quigley's. The original rotors we pulled that quigley provided were not re drilled, most likely they were the Chevy K30 77-8? (as noted in the other post) to get the bolt pattern to 8X6.5, then were turned to give ABS clearance.
The route I went, right or wrong/better or worse, was to order up rotors for an '03 F-350 and have them re drilled to 8X6.5 The process was not that difficult and a competent machine shop can do the job, it was maybe $100 to have some more holes drilled. Either way, some sort of modification is needed.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Just to clarify, as it seems there are a few different configurations quigley used over the years. I've got an '03, my front end is from an '03 F-350. I may be wrong, but there seems to be 2 ways to approach rotor replacements on quigley's. The original rotors we pulled that quigley provided were not re drilled, most likely they were the Chevy K30 77-8? (as noted in the other post) to get the bolt pattern to 8X6.5, then were turned to give ABS clearance.
The route I went, right or wrong/better or worse, was to order up rotors for an '03 F-350 and have them re drilled to 8X6.5 The process was not that difficult and a competent machine shop can do the job, it was maybe $100 to have some more holes drilled. Either way, some sort of modification is needed.
The rotors are not going to be interchangeable across configurations. If you have a K30 front end, you need to use the Chevy rotors machined etc. If you have the F350 front axle, then you need to use F350 rotors. So it depends on your build. If F350 rotors fit the K30 front end/unit bearings etc, Quigley would just supply those instead. I don't know the exact years they shipped the different configurations. All I know is my 02 uses the K30 rotors and the F350 rotors do not fit as is.

Remember the calipers/pads are also different between styles!!

I think anyone contemplating a Quigley brake service job should confirm their VIN with Quigley as to what they should use and go from there. I did ask Quigley about using F350 rotors on my van and they said "no". They're not trying to corner the market and force you to buy from them because they freely gave me the machining diagram and said "go to town" buy from wherever you like.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #17

Per Quigley I have a K30 front so I think I'm in the same boat at you Anzac. Thanks for the diagram btw
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:40 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Pretty sure mine are warped. Got incredible shudder driving down hill and getting on the brakes. Quite nerve racking. Mines a 2002 btw.
FWIW, most "warped rotor" shuddering symptoms are caused by uneven transfer of brake pad friction material from the pad to the rotor, not warped rotors.

Early in my career, I worked at Bendix In South Bend, designing engine controls for military aircraft. The Bendix brake division was next door in the same building; today the aerospace division is part of Honeywell and the brake division is Bosch.

Several of the engineers that I used to work with now work at Bosch developing automotive brake systems, and I've kept in touch with them over the years and every now and then we have the "warped rotor" discussion.

To operate happily, pad material needs to transfer to the rotor surface evenly. That's why it's recommended to properly "bed-in" your brakes after doing a brake job usually by doing a half dozen or so hard stops without coming to a complete stop. If you brake hard and come to a complete stop during bed-in you risk uneven transfer of new pad material to the rotor surface since the new pads will be "cooking" on one small area of the rotor resulting in a varying coefficient of friction on the rotor surface. This is what results in the shuddering during braking.

OEM brake manufacturers have to develop friction compounds for brake pads based on the expected driving habits of the end user, ie granny driving a Buick vs the neighbor kid in his GTI, etc. Most of the time they get it correct and everyone is happy and has smooth and long life braking until they need new pads.

Sometimes, driving habits and pad formulations don't quite line up for example if granny's Buick gets ceramic pads the odds are high that she will not heat up the pads sufficiently to properly transfer pad material to the rotor surface and the neighbor kid with the GTI may burn through OEM pads rather quickly and have other issues like short rotor life.

So brake pad formulations should be selected based on the expected type of driving to be done.

There are many technical papers on this subject around the web if anyone is interested.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-suppo ... ther-myths

OCSMB: I have a dial indicator and magnetic base if you would like to determine if your rotors are warped. Pop off a wheel, attach the dial indicator and spin the rotor.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
Per Quigley I have a K30 front so I think I'm in the same boat at you Anzac. Thanks for the diagram btw
I was not aware that they ever used a passenger drop, low pinion front axle in their conversions? That is the only configuration that a K30 EVER came in (77-86) and the V30 (same truck, just relabled when they added TBI for years 87-91.) I still have a complete front Kingpin Dana 60 from one of my previous trucks sitting in my side yard waiting to be put into something. I can take measurements or pictures of the brake parts if you need them for reference.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #20

Thanks for the offer. Anzac provided the part #s in the link above
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote