Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2014, 11:15 AM   #11

Re: Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT) awning

We just added a CVT awning and screen room this summer too. One of the best things we've done!

Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 AM   #12

Here's my full room I just got from ARB. It's the 2500 (mm) x 2500 model, which is 8'x8', but the CVT awning is 8'x7', so I have a little sag on the outside that you might can see I've 'fixed' with big binder clips.

There are a couple more pics in my gallery. As far as where these awnings are made, it's really quite puzzling to me. I too think they are probably made in the same factory, but to slightly different specs per brand name. I actually bought the CVT over the ARB awning due to the case being black vs. the gray of ARB, since all my other trim is black. I wanted a CVT room to match but wasn't willing to spend twice as much for it. It would've fit better (8x7 vs 8x8 as mentioned above) but it's pretty good. Also, the CVT has a removable floor which might be a great feature for someone. If you look at the CVT rooms on Google images you get a better idea since there aren't very many good pics on their website.
I wondered if the ARB would be a different color than the CVT, and indeed it is, but here's what's weird. The top outer edge piece (which fits in the awning channel and zips off for quicker takedown) is the same as the CVT awning, but the rest of the room is a different color. Awning more of a tan color, ARB room more of a beige. That's fine with me. Also, a VERY important consideration for SMB owners is that the zipper to enter your van MUST be modified. I'm working on having that done now and will update with pics. The ARB full room comes with a center opening to the vehicle (a big U zipper, kind of visible in first pic) which might be great for an SUV but is no good for a van, unless you have a sliding door maybe. Also, if your van is any higher than mine, or if you hang your awning/brackets any higher than I did, it may not reach the ground. Rockbender had this same worry and it looks like his barely makes it. I have a 6" Quigley lift with 33"s. and the enclosed room sort of relies on the floor to come up on the edges. If I just had walls I think I would have a gap.

Anyway, sorry for the long post but read it carefully and ask me for clarification or measurements if you need to. It's unfortunately not a perfect plug-and-play setup. You will need an upholsterer or some decent skills to sort out the zipper entry issue.

All that said this is going to make an awesome doghouse, wet gear/shoe storage area, and a place for the porta potty during longer stays. Our walk around space is more than doubled. I'm psyched, can't wait to use it.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #13

Eric - the tent room looks great!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbender
Eric - the tent room looks great!
Thanks Josh. Yours does too!

Old 09-09-2014, 08:48 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

You guys aren't gonna start measuring your room here are ya

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:56 PM   #16

Heh heh heh Dave. The biggest rooms always get the chicks...........
Old 09-10-2014, 11:25 AM   #17
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Hey Eric, just curious, did the brackets you ordered from van specialties come in a pack of 3 and did the CVT come with all the hardware necessary to mount the awning to them, nuts/bolts and channel nuts. Also, wondering the details on the zippered opening and what you needed to do to fix it to fit the van, wondering if that will be the same case with the mesh room from CVT. Planning on calling them up as well. Thanks!
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #18

Rick, yes, all hardware included with both brackets and awning. All you have to do is drill holes in the brackets. You'll only need a 1/2 wrench/socket and a 10mm wrench to do the whole install. I have no idea about the CVT opening vs the ARB. Perhaps they can get you a pic? I'll get a better pic of mine ASAP but it's all stowed at the moment.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #19

Garage

86Scotty - (or anyone else here)

Any idea how the mounting brackets for those CVT and ARB awnings compare to the ones used to mount Fiamma F45 awnings? Are they compatible? (Or at least close enough to be interchangeable with some clever drilling?)

Reason for asking:
The '95 Ford RB30 SMB I just bought used has a F45 awning on it, but it clearly needs a LOT of love to work properly. Fabric is torn near the roller (preventing proper retraction of the awning) and various latches and mechanisms are either broken or not latching properly.

For the $$$ to replace fabric and find all the various parts/pieces it needs to work properly again, it seems one of those CVT or ARB awnings, brand new, would be a cheaper and equally effective solution vs. fixing the Fiamma. Would be doubly cool if those awnings could indeed bolt to the same mounting brackets that are on the van for the Fiamma awning.

BTW -- your rig looks super cool with the blacked-out CVT awning hardware/bag! Much cooler than the typical white Fiamma casing. On my white E250-based SMB, (to my eye), the white Fiamma awning casing makes my van look like some sort of plumber or electrician truck. Looks like a fitting for carrying conduit or the like. Black hardware = much better looking IMHO!
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Cascadia Vehicle Tents (CVT) awning

Thanks for the info Eric, I'll be calling them for more info.
MountainBikeRoamer: I may be wrong but if your brackets look similar to the ones pictured above in this post, they should work, only difference would be how they are attached to the van. Assuming your mounts are the ones that bolt into the body of the van and if they're holding up without the one towards the rear pulling out, you should be able to mount the CVT by drilling holes through the tops of the mounts. Plus the CVT I believe is much lighter, so less stress on those expansion bolts.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote