Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #1

CCV Pop Top Reviews

Hello fellow Vanners,

For those of you with a Colorado Camper Van pop top, how has it held up?

More specifically, for those of you that use your pop top more than at a minimum of 3 months out of the year, what is your impression of:

1. The build quality with long term use?

2. How the components (the screens, mounting of the solar panels, rubber seal/trim, etc) is holding up with use over time (2 to 3+ years)?

Interested in long term (2-3+ years of use with at least 90+ days a year use) product reviews.
Let’s not worry about the fact that the top goes up and down as it should.

B350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:18 PM   #2

Well a timely question

We have had our Medium Height CCV top for just under five years. We are sitting in our rig w top up in Fruita, CO during the second week of our fourth six week plus ski tour. We started in San Francisco and just finished the SLC portion. Off to Aspen, Leadville, Steamboat, Big Sky, Jackson, etc. w nearly every night spent in our rig.

Sierras, Rockies, Baja, Grand Cayon, Southwest multi week tours. Many SF to LA overnight round trips. So lots of time spent in and using our rig in different scenarios.

Quality is excellent. Functionality is excellent. Design is excellent. Comfort is excellent. Durability has been excellent. No leaks or wind noise issues. Rock solid in wind (canvas will make noise but no top movement).

We have Yakima/Thule tracks running the length of the top. A single 360 watt panel plus room for ski rack or Mega Warrior basket. No problems.

Rubber has held up fine. Only rubber issue is where the top comes down and the rubber rubs a bit on one of the awning brackets. Not a CCV problem.

Highly recommend. Your decision should be consideration of high top or medium top.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:41 PM   #3

Garage
You may not get too many responses that meet your criteria. I’d guess most of us have owned our CCV tops for a shorter time. And some members have moved on from their builds and don’t visit often.

My midsize top was installed in September 2019 and I’m very pleased with it. As a person who sews heavy duty goods, I’m impressed with their work. They’ve long solved the problems with screens ripping, which was due to a too-tightening of the canvas. My screens are perfect and I really like the ability to unzip them for photography.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:47 PM   #4

We are just ending our trip of 45 straight nights in our CCV van. I will pretty much agree with 1der’s assessment of the quality, design and functionality.

I am getting a few creaks and groans as the top is raised and lowered. I think it is from the lift arms rubbing in the UniStrut, but I have not spent the time looking closely at it.

I have had one problem with the screen tearing, but it was my fault. When lowering the top I used to use the awning crank to tuck the canvas into the top. One time I pushed too hard in the wrong place and tore a hole when the screen attached to the zipper.

I now use the MaxFan to suck in the sides of the canvas when lowering. It is easier and faster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	31812
cthayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 09:06 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
CCV Pop Top Reviews

Same here....we swapped over to the CCV high top from the SMB top about 6 years ago now with numerous shorter trips and our usual full summer trips under the belt with the CCV top. We’re full timing for a few years and currently in Baja putting it to use without our travel trailer. I did have several ripped screens, which has since been repaired, and as mentioned, that issue is hopefully solved by leaving in a bit more slack, no other issues to report.
And since others have put in the gratuitous pic, here’s mine.....
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adjustments.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	31813
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #6

Funny you should ask right now, I'm actually sitting in my mid size top as we speak wondering what I'm going to do about my screens coming apart where they attache to the canvas. I wrote them last week asking if they had a solution or an aftermarket fix but haven't heard back. This is year 5 with a minimum of 3 to 4 months each year in baja. We love everything about it but the screen attachment. This isn't going to be an easy fix and we would love to have some input on a solution.
Eatmorefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:02 PM   #7

Garage
Fish: got a photo?
Old 02-23-2020, 04:44 PM   #8

Yup.[ATTA[ATTACH]cabhb[/ATTACH]CH]31887[and/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
20200223_162905.jpg   20190323_152209.jpg  
Old 02-23-2020, 05:09 PM   #9

Or did you mean the screen?Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_165453.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	31889
Old 02-23-2020, 06:09 PM   #10

Garage
Nice rig! Ya, I wanted to see how the screen ripped. I hope they’ll fix it for you. It could be repaired while still installed but would take some serious care. Keep us posted.