Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #1

Chevy door hinge pins?

Has anyone else run into the door hinges/pins seizing up on a Chevy/GMC van? Apparently this was a problem (hinge design trapped water and dirt) and promoted everything to rust solid. I'm curious to know what you did to solve the problem.

The hinges were an issue in 2010 when I bought the van but I had more time and energy to spray them with PB Blaster and work them loose. Now I'm the father of a 2 year old with less sleep, time, and patience than I had 6 years ago, so I think it is time to fix them them. They are nearly seized again and cause the hinges to flex, causing alignment/closing problems.

I bought stainless steel, greasable replacement pins a long time ago but never got the old pins out. I found this puller tool on Ebay with associated Youtube video:

Automotive Door Hinge Pin Puller Remover Tool Chevy Astro and Safari Vans | eBay

I'm not sure if this will work on the Express/Savana vans (sent a note to the seller). I own and tried an Eastwood hinge pin puller but I think the design is too large and flexes too much; I was never successful so either my pins are really stuck, I did it wrong, or the tool has too much flex.

The other option is suck up the cost and go to a body shop and have them press out the pins.

I'd be interested in hearing you experience!

Thanks!

zuren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #2

I had to take one of the pins out on my E350 when I installed an Aluminess tire carrier. In the instructions, they tell you to drill out about a 1/4" then use a hammer and punch to get the pin out. I ended up drilling quite a bit more and it took a loooooong time and lots of whacks to finally get the pin free. Someone mentioned that using an air hammer with the proper size bit is the way to go when removing the pin. Looks like that tool in the video would work well if it fits your hinge.