Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2019, 06:39 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
Very interesting thread.

We had QuadVan’s TTB 4x4 installed on a 2003 v10 15 pass wagon before they stopped and Agile’s TTB 4x4 installed on our 2002 built out 7.3 extended pop top. I have driven a bunch of vans with different conversions. Here is my take and recommendation:

Ride quality on and off road will be be best with the TTB. No one has new TTB housings and Quadvan has not done TTB since 2004 because the new parts from 1997 ran out and as stated they must use new parts to be QVM compliant. Agile uses the housings, goes through it all and uses new readily available wear parts when doing their conversion so I have no concerns about that. Reliability, sturdiness are the same between what Qvan did and Agile does. There are some differences in design.

One difference between the TTB conversion at QV and Agile is the front wheel track. Agile uses the stock F250HD 4x4 TTB wheel track which is 3” narrower than the stock Econoline front track which is 3” wider than the rear axle track. So Agile’s conversion matches the narrower stock rear Econoline track so no rear spacer is necessary to square up the track. QuadVan has to match the wider stock Econoline front track to meet Ford’s QVM and came up with a way to widen the the TTB. Typically a 1.5” rear spacer is added to the rear axle to square up the track but that is an option and not required by Ford. Both ride great and that is from 13 yrs w the QV TTB and 5 yrs w the Agile.

Your rig - I would probably go with QuadVan’s current solid front axle 4x4 conversion. (This I have not personally driven and would before making a decision) Larger brakes (maybe, check w John), wider F350 front track and fine on road ride and acceptable off road ride. All Ford approved for Econoline. Proven installer. Carringb lists the same reasons as I see for your rig. I would certainly recommend Agile first for a normal van conversion.

Can the Agile TTB handle your rig? I feel it can. Atibiti has the the Agile on his heavy Ambulance and he definitely uses his rig off-road. Plenty of Agile converted rigs are doing rugged off road trips, it is an excellent package.

I would not consider or recommend anything else.

I would also recommend getting a ride in a van with the Conversion you are considering. Drop by Agile if need, fly up to QuadVan in Portland, or reach out here and find a member w one of the conversions who is willing to let you test drive and feel the ride. You are welcome to come to San Francisco and test drive our Agile 7.3. You are about to drop a bunch of coin, include some airfare in your budget to make your decision an informed one. You will feel the differences.
Solid advice friend
Going dark for the holiday
I will pick this up next week
Have a great weekend all
bw out

billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:13 PM   #32

I had my E350 done by Advanced 4x4 in Salt lake city. It was turnkey at $12.5K and the quality is top notch. They do RVs too. You just gotta make the drive, and then fly back and forth to get it once done.

4x4 Motorhome Conversion - Advanced 4X4 Vans
sierraoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 03:15 PM   #33

Garage
Really appreciate the detailed breakdown of the differences between the Agile and the QuadVan builds. Have looked into Advanced 4x4 in SLC a bit, and have been looking into U-Joints conversions as well.

I am converting a 2012 E350 v10 (very low mile) cargo van into a camper/travel off road vehicle. Trying to find the sweet spot in handling vs off road performance.

Thanks in advance for the insights and feedback!
DrumsAudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:38 PM   #34

Not sure where you are but another West Coast option is Sportsman Light Truck in Kamloops, BC. With your dollar it may be cheaper.

https://www.sportsman4x4.com/

They are one of the few up-fitters in Canada and do a lot of rigs for oil and gas. They also show a Class C and even Ambulances on their website.
Old 09-06-2019, 10:13 PM   #35

On something that size, I'd really skip the cost of 4x4. I'd add ground clearance, a part-time (air or electric) rear locker and perhaps a winch and call it good.

I see converted class C's every so often and keep asking myself where they get used. Even with my lifted EB I run into size issues on trails more often than I run into serious traction issues.

'99 EB ex ENG KSWB news van, low rent 4x4 conversion (mostly fixed by now), home built interior.
MadScience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:13 PM   #36

Class C's are heavy, heavy to the degree that if theres a little snow on the road and your going down an incline they can tend to not steer because the weight of the truck wants to push it in a straight line. Mine weighs 10,400 pounds dry with dualies on the back.
Chinook is offline   Reply With Quote