Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2019, 04:51 PM   #21

Crazy that Agile won't call you back. I have gotten them on the phone every time I have called. Maybe try again? Their conversion runs about $17-20k depending on what you want exactly. Rides very nice from all I have heard. You would still be under the $50k mark.

I think the Majestic you have is nice because it looks to be fiberglass instead of the regular RV stuff, making it more durable. And you definitely can't argue with the added width of a class C over a class B.

Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:05 PM   #22

The Majestic was an ex-Cruise America rental unit, right? I think they build them sturdier for rental use, don’t they?
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
The Majestic was an ex-Cruise America rental unit, right? I think they build them sturdier for rental use, don’t they?
Yes Cruise America
when i bought it, I fully expected to do semi major work
I have changed oil, serviced gen, furnace, water heater and AC, new house battery

already had LED lights

brakes, drive train, engine all tip top

They are rare on CA website for sale because of the size and they get snapped up quick

The newerones are standard RV construction
Mine has the fiberglass bubble Nose

as of right now, NO 19 footers for sale.....

Stripped the stripes, gave it the Captain America Stickers and called it a day

20,000 miles in two years, not a hickup
billwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 09:06 PM   #24

My personal opinion... I think Agile does great work, but the TTB system is more ideal for lighter rigs than heavier rigs. It's rated for less to start with, but also has 90's-sized brakes, and since they don't widen the front track width you can run into spring/tire clearance issues, and won't gain any turning radius reduction like you do with the Dana super 60 front axle setup. I think as far as FAWR goes, the Majestic 19 is probably fine on the TTB setup, but the brakes would still be a downgrade from stock 2WD.

PS - If getting a call back is a super important criteria... QuadVan might not be any better. I think they are both victims to their own success, to some extent. Not to mention #VanLife.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:31 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
My personal opinion... I think Agile does great work, but the TTB system is more ideal for lighter rigs than heavier rigs. It's rated for less to start with, but also has 90's-sized brakes, and since they don't widen the front track width you can run into spring/tire clearance issues, and won't gain any turning radius reduction like you do with the Dana super 60 front axle setup. I think as far as FAWR goes, the Majestic 19 is probably fine on the TTB setup, but the brakes would still be a downgrade from stock 2WD.

PS - If getting a call back is a super important criteria... QuadVan might not be any better. I think they are both victims to their own success, to some extent. Not to mention #VanLife.

That’s great information I have to figure out what it means though LOL

I will research and decipher it this is all going to wind up on a spreadsheet

FWIW
I called Quadra and got voicemail

I filled out their online form

In about an hour later I traded several emails with
John McKee
Owner/Engineer

Maybe I got lucky LOL

So agile uses older front end parts

I think Quadra uses stock f350 stuff

I kind a like the idea of stock parts when you’re in BFE, Or your hometown
Old 08-28-2019, 09:39 PM   #26

Yup. John is the owner/engineer. Great guy, and once you actually get in touch with him, will explain in detail everything you wanted and didn't want to know.

Ford/Dana stopped making new TTB assemblies in 2004, which is why QuadVan had to stop selling it. Since they are part of the QVM program, they are not allowed to install anything other than new Ford components, and that forced them to go solid-axle for 2005+. Agile was using new old-stock-initially, but I think now they are using re-conditioned parts. The QuadVan parts are new/current SuperDuty stuff.
Old 08-28-2019, 09:47 PM   #27

TTB ?

I’m also a wrist watch guy
Sometimes NOS is cool for a build or restoration

Sometimes all you can do is get an old part and make it work on the watch

If it screws up it will still be right twice a day

If I am in BFE with my five-year-old daughter, I’m picking factory new parts for that build

I think that in itself narrows down my choices

BW

Just putting pictures in because everybody likes them
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4916.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	29375
Old 08-28-2019, 10:08 PM   #28

TTB = Twin Traction beam. It's the same concept as the 2WD axle, but Dana and Ford figured out how to stuff a diff into one half, and an CV joint joint and axle shaft into the other.

IMO it rides the best (because it's independent, and has less unsprung weight) but it was originally designed for 1/2-ton use, then adapted to work in the 90's F250, which was a relative lightweight (and smaller) compared to fully-built E350.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:54 AM   #29

That's really cool. I've always wondered if a 4x4 van conversion could be done with the F250 TTB components. Probably adequate if the main reason for 4WD is sand and snow, rather than true off-road trail driving.
IanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 08:52 AM   #30

Very interesting thread.

We had QuadVan’s TTB 4x4 installed on a 2003 v10 15 pass wagon before they stopped and Agile’s TTB 4x4 installed on our 2002 built out 7.3 extended pop top. I have driven a bunch of vans with different conversions. Here is my take and recommendation:

Ride quality on and off road will be be best with the TTB. No one has new TTB housings and Quadvan has not done TTB since 2004 because the new parts from 1997 ran out and as stated they must use new parts to be QVM compliant. Agile uses the housings, goes through it all and uses new readily available wear parts when doing their conversion so I have no concerns about that. Reliability, sturdiness are the same between what Qvan did and Agile does. There are some differences in design.

One difference between the TTB conversion at QV and Agile is the front wheel track. Agile uses the stock F250HD 4x4 TTB wheel track which is 3” narrower than the stock Econoline front track which is 3” wider than the rear axle track. So Agile’s conversion matches the narrower stock rear Econoline track so no rear spacer is necessary to square up the track. QuadVan has to match the wider stock Econoline front track to meet Ford’s QVM and came up with a way to widen the the TTB. Typically a 1.5” rear spacer is added to the rear axle to square up the track but that is an option and not required by Ford. Both ride great and that is from 13 yrs w the QV TTB and 5 yrs w the Agile.

Your rig - I would probably go with QuadVan’s current solid front axle 4x4 conversion. (This I have not personally driven and would before making a decision) Larger brakes (maybe, check w John), wider F350 front track and fine on road ride and acceptable off road ride. All Ford approved for Econoline. Proven installer. Carringb lists the same reasons as I see for your rig. I would certainly recommend Agile first for a normal van conversion.

Can the Agile TTB handle your rig? I feel it can. Atibiti has the the Agile on his heavy Ambulance and he definitely uses his rig off-road. Plenty of Agile converted rigs are doing rugged off road trips, it is an excellent package.

I would not consider or recommend anything else.

I would also recommend getting a ride in a van with the Conversion you are considering. Drop by Agile if need, fly up to QuadVan in Portland, or reach out here and find a member w one of the conversions who is willing to let you test drive and feel the ride. You are welcome to come to San Francisco and test drive our Agile 7.3. You are about to drop a bunch of coin, include some airfare in your budget to make your decision an informed one. You will feel the differences.