Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #1

Garage
Complete Starcool III service??

So here we go, I have read many starcool threads over the years and still don't get these things. Unfortunately there are no more parts that are easily accessible for the 1996 12v/120v Starcool III that I have. I have contacted Sportsmobile and Danhard directly and they don't support or make it anymore so I am on my own. At this point I am seriously deciding if I want to keep the system or not. It is a neat Idea and I already have most of the parts so I kinda want to salvage it, but is it worth the money to replace the things I need (or do I even have the skill, I know squat about ac), I don't know......

First off, has anyone has success temporarily disabling the system and disconnecting it from the factory ac so you can run that at least? I have seen mention of it but can't find out how or where they disconnected it and capped it off, in case this gets too expensive to replace this year.

So overall my system seemed to work but over the years my condenser has been smashed to bits......literally. So I needed to take that off and try to find a replacement at the very least.

So this is what I am working with, the condenser is made in Texas but I can't find any other identification and need to find a replacement at the very least to save the system. How important do you think the specific dimensions are? Can I just maybe find something that is close, and maybe something that has an integrated fan and condenser with a shroud? I plan on moving the location anyway since right behind my exhaust is about the worst place: heat from exhaust, trail damage (lots), and constantly gets caked up with mud really bad making it unusable...

I was thinking about moving the compressor and condenser to this spare tire location between my generator and Aux fuel tank, at least its more central and less likely to have as much mud, road and trail damage, its also about the only other place I can think of. Its not perfect and as you can see mud still gets there a bit and there will be less air flow but that's what the fan is for right?

nemesisnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #2

I'm no A/C expert, but I do have some experience that makes me think that as long as the condenser is of adequate size and the materials are compatible with your refrigerant, you should be able to substitute just about any condenser that you can mount securely. Obviously, you will need longer hoses, and possibly a bit more refrigerant than normal to account for the longer hoses and possibly larger condenser. There is no reason you can't make the system work, it's just a question of how much effort your willing to put in. I'll be watching as I too have a system I intend to restore.

Places like this stock condensers, fans and parts. https://www.oldairproducts.com/produ...an-11-1223sfrm

Or, https://www.restomodair.com/product-...ac-condensers/
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #3

Garage
The next issue is the compressor. It does kinda work when I have it plugged in to shore power but then seems to seize up and make a loud noise. Not sure if its just overheating from the smashed up condenser or what, thoughts? I don't think these things can really be serviced and I have no idea if there is anything that can be done to test it. Once I got it unmounted I was pleased to find some identification on the top caked under mud but still legible after 23 years..

So that's where things get interesting... I found the same compressor online but its rated as a R12 compressor and its running in a R134a system being tied with the ford system...This one looks a tiny bit different though and only has the 2 ports with the third crimped off from the pics while mine from the Starcool III has 3, so I don't know if they tapped into it and added the 3rd connector??
https://controlscentral.com/eCatalog...hoCEVQQAvD_BwE

I also found this model that is rated for R134a instead but it doesn't have any threaded connections so is there a way to make it work?? It is also only 1/2hp vs the other original one that is 3/4hp, is this difference big enough to matter?
https://controlscentral.com/eCatalog...2/Default.aspx

I am guessing that would be the better compressor if I decided to replace it and make the system new? Thoughts, it definitely isn't cheap.....Maybe something else will work or there is another brand that is cheaper? If anyone has any ideas or thoughts I am open to anything at this point.

As far as my original compressor, if it actually does still work, how compatible is the R134a with it since its made to run at a lower pressure of R12? Was the pressure overloading it maybe, I dunno....
Old 05-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #4

Garage
Another question is when I was disconnecting everything it was a pain and all corroded. This connector broke, is there anyway to cut the hose shorter and have a new end crimped on instead of a whole new very long hose..... Or does anything exist that is crimp-less? I know they hold some pressure but I have never worked with anything like this and am not sure what my options are. Where would I even go to get hoses and things like this done locally here in SLC (or even online if needed)? I know a place that does hoses and custom connections for propane hoses and fittings, how different are these freon ones? Clearly I am clueless with this, but am trying to learn and fix what I can myself. Are there any HVAC guys on here or anyone that at least knows more than me?

Old 05-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #5

My condenser is all busted up too. When I wrote Danhard for advice, Marco recommended this condenser as a replacement and quoted me $504 plus shipping. I think this is the one that rallypanam installed on one of his vans so maybe he'll chime in.

Link: Danhard Inc. Condensers 50-2203
gcvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Do you really use that 110v compressor? At least for me the shore power compressor wasn't worth the money and if it fails I'll probably just try to remove it. Have you priced other add on air systems like the Danhard to replace the Starcool?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:17 PM   #7

If you haven't done so already, hit up the Forum Search feature and you'll find a lot of useful threads on Starcool issues.

The fans are pretty easy to source, as they are just regular 12v radiator fans. Here are two threads that may help:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ion-10309.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-fan-8659.html

Also, not sure what year your van is, but here's a link to Starcool manuals from my 1998 SMB build with a Starcool III:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...998-19048.html
BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:20 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
My condenser is all busted up too. When I wrote Danhard for advice, Marco recommended this condenser as a replacement and quoted me $504 plus shipping. I think this is the one that rallypanam installed on one of his vans so maybe he'll chime in.

Link: Danhard Inc. Condensers 50-2203
Thanks, definitely looking for something like that to protect the radiator coils more, aint cheap though, geez.

I was also looking at this and it seems like it would work good and is Aluminum? Price is better at $342 (plus $35-45 Freight) and takes about 10 days to make as its custom for them. Pulls a little less air but should still be better than what I originally had, this has a 16" fan and what I took off was only a 12". thoughts?

Condenser 108 - 50 000 879
Old 05-14-2019, 12:23 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
If you haven't done so already, hit up the Forum Search feature and you'll find a lot of useful threads on Starcool issues.

The fans are pretty easy to source, as they are just regular 12v radiator fans. Here are two threads that may help:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ion-10309.html
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-fan-8659.html

Also, not sure what year your van is, but here's a link to Starcool manuals from my 1998 SMB build with a Starcool III:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...998-19048.html
Thanks, yea I have been through all those threads but they seem to be more basic with just fan replacements. I actually used one of your links to replace a fan once, I need a lot more than just a fan this time..
Old 05-14-2019, 12:39 PM   #10

Garage
I think this is the same part I have for my inside, looks exactly the same at least:
Danhard Inc. 00942 Evaporator

Looks like the plastic case got a crack in it from the previous owner and it didn't drain properly and damaged the cabinet some.

With this rear system do I still need the underbody condenser to have the rear ac come out these ducts while driving? Not sure how these all rely on each other but I am guessing I will have to at least keep the condenser, but I am not sure how I would plump it to ditch the compressor? I don't use the 110v because it hasn't worked but I could see trying to salvage it if possible, its a cool idea and I do have a push button generator if I wanted to cool down inside while parked and boon docking, but at what expense, is it even possible to ditch it with the plumbing diagrams BrianW posted?