Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dave_in_delaware
Computer Desk, Table, mount, etc mod??

In case no one over here saw my computer location thread in the "Electrical" section, I thought I'd ask here:

For those of you who take your computer along in your SMB... where exactly do you put it? What setup have you found to work best, is most comfortable, etc?

Did you build a desk for it? Did you mount it somewhere? Do you just put it on your lap?

I'm talking specifically about where you would put something like a tower unit and flatscreen monitor (and keyboard)... and any additional special requirements you have for it (internet access, inverter, extra battery, etc). But if you have a laptop I'd like to hear from you, too!!

Thanks for your help!

Homebuilt RV Project: Design Phase is 80% Complete! (but on hold until I win the lottery)
Ford E-350 EB w/ Cruiser Top, Flip-down "Gaucho" sofa/bed, custom cabinets, AGM batteries, solar panels, water heater, fresh/gray water tanks, sink, porta-potty....
dave_in_delaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #2

Dave,

I have installed an Aopen PCmini in my SMB. I started a thread here
http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=758. I have changed my mounting and am going about documenting it. I am still in the process of adding some new things, one being rearview camera. After I get that installed I will update the post with the new mounting. I basically went out and purchased some Barry Control Mounts ( they use in Tanks and etc. mounting electrical equipment ). I am hoping to have the camera mounted this weekend, so I will probably update the post then.

Greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #3

I'm all about the laptop. MUCH lower power usage, unless you are an electrical genius and have bypassed the AC part and tapped DC converted directly into the PC. My laptop on full blast using DC-DC uses 10W less than if it was on AC; a Desktop and commensurate screen will use a lot more. I'd wager that a full desktop and monitor, plus required inverter overhead will be costing you between 100 and 150W. That's almost an entire solar panel running full time to make up the desktop/laptop power requirements difference. See:

http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=139

As for where, being a laptop it's easy. However, I prefer to sit on the RHS of the bench seat and use my flip out table top mod. Following pic is food, not laptop obviously...

PS: The cost of a new laptop can be offset by the full size solar panel you won't have to buy.
Amsoil
kzemach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We are dedicating a portion of one cabinet for a future mounted PC. Our TV will double as a monitor. The TV will be able to mount in 2 or 3 spots. We will also have a RAM mount up front for a Laptop. We will use the laptops exclusively until we determine what we want exactly for a permanent pc.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:06 AM   #5

Garage
Send a message via AIM to mmocken
My laptop
- For storage it goes in the seat-back-pocket.
- In use, it goes anywhere needed.

We use it as a TV(with usb tv tuner), then it gets mouned on a tray in the dinette area. The tray is where the 9" TV cabinet was before I removed it. This allows me to hook up to the power and antenna booster that was in the cabinet.

Laptops make much more sense for a SMB. The battery prevents sudden shutdowns and the poweer requirements are lower.

It can also double as your TV for under $100. I bought the EyeTV hybrid and it came with a remote control and recording software.

--->
Marty's 'BearsMobile'

1995 Dodge SMB EB-20 + modified for shower in back, PH Microlite Starcool. 130k miles young!
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...a37caeae3a.jpg
mmocken is offline   Reply With Quote