Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2020, 01:09 PM   #11

Hi,
This is also something I would like removed from mine! It takes up far, far too much space, and has never worked worth beans anyway! If you do decide to do this, I would really like to hear how the process went for you? Would you
be so kind as to let me know? I’d certainly be interested in hearing about exactly what’s involved.
Thanks,
ConnieKat

ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 01:47 PM   #12

Have removed mine completely. There are at least two configurations though. One (mine) coolant is isolated from the main van system. Very easily removed and frees up space. The other is tied into the vans, so necessitates an AC set of tools or service to disconnect and seal......
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:38 PM   #13

So completely Right! Lol
ConnieKat
Old 12-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #14

Big Fat Box!

Mine is a huge box that takes up quite a lot of room in my van! I have no idea which version is which. But I am forever banging into the bloody thing, and since it has never worked at all, it seems to me that it would be much better
removed! I could certainly better use the amount of space it
actually takes up! A bit larger refridgerator, a set of drawers,
some other variety of storage.....
ConnieKat
Old 12-13-2020, 05:26 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage
There are a few Starcool models. IIRC some are 12v only units used when driving. A second model is just a AC powered compressor. I have the Starcool III. It works off 12v while driving and shore power while camped. The 12 v part is tied to the stock Ford system and must be used together when running the stock A/C. I really have never used the shore power compressor much because I avoid camping in hot weather. But I couldn't imagine being without the 12v system while I'm driving in the summer weather around here. The rear air makes a huge difference. As mentioned, pulling the shore power compressor would involve some shop work for me so I'm gonna keep it.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:25 PM   #16

DaveB
Thanks, but not much help. Mine is a 2005 Chevy EB, but it just says StarCool on the outside of the box! I’ve never been able to get it to work at all! Not with the van turned on, nor with it plugged in. I have the “ booklet” that came with my van, but it surely doesn’t clarify things much. No one knows how to fix the bloody thing, including Camping World, which is about the only place I can take it to be worked on. I am quite literally, in the middle of “ nowhere”!
ConnieKat
Old 12-14-2020, 01:04 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
DaveB
Thanks, but not much help. Mine is a 2005 Chevy EB, but it just says StarCool on the outside of the box! I’ve never been able to get it to work at all! Not with the van turned on, nor with it plugged in. I have the “ booklet” that came with my van, but it surely doesn’t clarify things much. No one knows how to fix the bloody thing, including Camping World, which is about the only place I can take it to be worked on. I am quite literally, in the middle of “ nowhere”!
ConnieKat
Many A/C shops want nothing to do with them, but really the Starcool system is similar to other aftermarket systems. I have a guy who works on semi-truck air conditioners as a mobile repair and has kept mine up and running.

I'd venture to say your system is a shore power only model. If it was a Starcool III, the 12 Starcool must be activated while driving or the stock Ford A/C won't work correctly. It could be possible someone cut it loose from the Ford system though.

One thing... and this is mainly because of my camping preferences, if the shore power compressor fails, repairing it wouldn't be worth it IMO. I avoid humid and/or hot weather and have yet to camp where there is power. At home I've tested mine and about all I can get is about a 10 degree spread from the outside temps in direct sun. But ctb has a point if you're trying to help with humidity.

We all handle heat differently and I rely on the 12v starcool anytime the temps get above the low 80's while driving.

Lastly if the parts are good, they might be worth something to those of us that still have operating systems. Just hard to test something that's not working.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
..., it seems to me that it would be much better
removed! I could certainly better use the amount of space it
actually takes up! A bit larger refridgerator, a set of drawers,
some other variety of storage.....
ConnieKat

Removing it is not really difficult. If you follow the coolant lines and if they don't go to the engine compartment, it is just undoing bolts and pulling tubing out.....I have posted the manual previously for the one I had. It is similar to what Dave B described but really only runs on 110ac and via inverter when unplugged from shore. My biggest challenge was building doors that matched the OE interior after freeing up cabinet space. If you didn't feel up to removing, any mechanic could....
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:57 AM   #19

I think at this point we're going to probably keep it since I now realize that's the best way to get cool air to the rear of the van while driving (thus keeping teenagers less angsty which is important for everyone's sanity). But if we change our minds (again) I'll be sure to update the thread.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:12 PM   #20

Garage
I use the Starcool mostly while driving, as it helps the Ford AC work better, and really cools the Van while driving. I've used the AC a few times on shore power, and that was nice too.
Fool120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
starcool