Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #1

Coolant Filter Install Advice

I searched and read the excellent posts regarding the installation of the coolant filter sold by dieselsite.com. What my tentative plans would be is to mount the filter on the plate opposite the fuel filter as BadgerTrek did.

It would be quite easy, for my input to the filter if I could tap into the coolant line that runs nearby (runs back to my flat plate water heater). It would seem that it wouldn't make any difference whether you tap into either the return or supply line going to the flat plate, but maybe I'm missing something. It sure would be easier than taping into the heater hoses.

The return line from the filter would need to follow the frame rail a short way before heading up and "Ting" into the EGR degas tube for return to the system at the degas bottle.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 10-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: Coolant Filter Install Advice

It might affect the flow.

I was told the ESPAR has a small pump that actually circulates the water slowly into the block. I added a higher flow secondary pump so I can use the flatplate W/O the Hydronic when needed. I was told that the new pump might restrict the flow causing the Espar to overheat and kick off if it (the secondary pump) was not running, so I'm thinking a filter might cause similar problems. I could be wrong. I have not had to run the secondary pump to run the espar so I'm lucky there. The secondary pump is noisy, draws a few amps to operate and although it helps warm up the engine much faster, it also keeps the water from reaching a high temperature in a limited amount of time. Most of the time I use the Hydronic is for warm water at the tap and I only need it for a couple of min.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #3

I might be a bit confused here - I only have the flat plate, which is good to supply hot water for up to around 5 hours only after I have driven the SMB and the coolant is up to temp- then I flip the switch to the pump to circulate the hot coolant through the flat plate and I have hot water for a shower or for dishes. I do not have the Hydronic which I believe is the diesel fired engine pre-heater.

Maybe you are saying that when I do turn on the pump to circulate the coolant for the flat plate, the added resistance to the flow of the coolant, through the bypass coolant filter could cause the pump to overheat and fail?
Old 10-13-2010, 12:14 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

If you don't have the Espar it might work but I would talk with the manufacture of the pump that was installed. The other issue is if you actually have to run the pump, how long do you need to run it to keep the coolant clean. I don't know what the flow rate is through the flat plate when the pump is off. If you find a solution I'd like to hear it. I want to install a filter myself at some point in time.
Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #5

I understand the concern from the added resistance of the coolant filter may not be good for the pump when you are stopped and running the flat plate coolant pump, though we run it sparingly as is, only long enough to grab a couple of quick showers, maybe a couple of dishes. My hunch is it would be OK, as it is strong enough to circulate the coolant through the engine block, but if one was still concerned you could just close the valve to the bypass filter.

I don't see any issue when this pump is off though, as when the engine is running the coolant just makes a continuous loop back through the flat plate and the coolant bypass filter should just be doing its job there of filtering the coolant, taped off the line that goes to the flat plate & returning via the degass bottle.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #6

I just addressed this issue. After scratching my head over the issue of the 3/8" return hose placement in such a tight engine compartment, I ordered a second 3/4" to 3/8" T-piece from Bob Riley at the diesel site. I spliced into 3/4" the hose from the engine to the espar pump and return hose to the 3/4" return hose.

**For a simple installation** I would order a second aluminum T-piece and splice at this site.
Ketcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:51 PM   #7

I installed this filter in that location and I have the Espar and the flat plate. This is a good location because it is a low spot in the system and has a better chance to catch sediment. It is also very easy to get to the filter. I don't think that you have to worry about any flow problems caused by this filter because it pulls the coolant from an in line "T". In other words, your 5/8" hose running back to the flat plate will not be restricted at all. There is only a 3/8" hose that will pull some of that coolant from that 5/8" hose. As for putting that "T" before or after the flat plate, I don't think it makes a difference. Some may say it would be better to put it on the supply end because you want to filter the coolant before it goes through the small ports of the flat plate. But the reality is that if the coolant is going through the flat plate, it did not go through the filter (on that pass).
I highly recommend the ball valves that they offer. Depending on which kit you ordered, they may or may not have been included. If you don't have them, get them or something like them. Because it is at a low point in the system, when you change the filter, the coolant will just keep running if you can't shut it off.
Good luck,
John

Here is a shot of my install
Attached Thumbnails
Coolant filter install 1.jpg  
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:52 PM   #8

Finally finished my coolant filter install. I thought it was a real bitch - probably took me 8 hrs but I'm slow as molasses, but I like to get it right. I had a heck of a time finding a good mounting spot, then had to fab a little jig out of aluminum to drill the two holes in the steel plate just forward of the fuel filter housing, as it was very tight with no room for error. Had a heck of a time fitting the "T" into the 5/8" hose going to my flat plate (my "in" supply)). Had to reposition my clamps and ended up just soaked with coolant as it took a lot of muscle to force the big "T" into the 5/8" hose, but finally got it (actually wonder if the big "T" they sent is for 3/4" hose). I'm glad I went up to the degas bottle for my "out" line as it was pretty simple splicing in the 3/8" "T" and fishing the 3/8" line down to the filter - there is no way I wanted to connect another "T" in the other flat plate 5/8" hose, working on my back with coolant running down my arm.

Fired her up and no leaks so looks like I can put this one behind me.
Attached Thumbnails
_1010398.jpg   _1010401.jpg  
Old 05-08-2011, 04:27 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwintersteller
I highly recommend the ball valves that they offer. Depending on which kit you ordered, they may or may not have been included. If you don't have them, get them or something like them. Because it is at a low point in the system, when you change the filter, the coolant will just keep running if you can't shut it off.
Good luck,
John

Here is a shot of my install
Just use needle nose vise grips as hemostats to stem the flow. Also handy when installing the kit in the first place to avoid making a huge mess.

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by stikine
Finally finished my coolant filter install. I thought it was a real bitch - probably took me 8 hrs but I'm slow as molasses, but I like to get it right.
Only 8 hours? That does not sound slow like molasses to my. I think my install took more time then that.
Looks real good.
John
jwintersteller is offline   Reply With Quote