Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2018, 02:16 PM   #1

Coolant Filter Location

Trying to Squeeze in a coolant filter under the hood. It's too shiny to be put under the vehicle

Thinking of putting it in this position (1st pic), clamping it down to the van body as the power steering reservoir is clamped(2nd pic reference). I made sure it clears the hood. Routing the hose will another challenge

Wanting to see pics of others who have installed one under the hood. Are there stores that sell assortment of ready made clamps/adapters i can use?

Van is a 6.0 PSD
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180903_122416.jpg   IMG_20180903_121224.jpg  

karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #2

Garage
I don't think you'll get it under the hood successfully. Mine is in the coolant loop to my rear flat plate heat exchanger (underneath!). If you don't have one you'll use the same ports off the engine.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Mine is mounted on the inside of the Aluminess bumper.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #4

I made a metal loop for mine and draped it around the power steering reservoir. The filter hangs behind the power steering filler cap. No issues after driving with it for a few years.
jblaze5779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 05:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb View Post
Mine is mounted on the inside of the Aluminess bumper.
Any info on the hose routing will be appreciated. Did you tap into heater line?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblaze5779 View Post
I made a metal loop for mine and draped it around the power steering reservoir. The filter hangs behind the power steering filler cap. No issues after driving with it for a few years.
Interested in seeing pic of the setup

Thanks
karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:24 PM   #6

Coolant filter location

I also mounted the filter housing on the passenger side inside the Alumniss bumper. Additionally I have a scan gauge 2 and I noted that the delta T between the EOT and the EOC were critical especially under even small loading. I chose to do a complete system flush before installing the filter using Fleet Guard Restore and Restore Plus following the directions on the bottles. I used Restore first to remove any gel that may be gumming up the oil cooler so any sediment released by the Restore Plus would not get stuck in the oil cooler. After multiple water flushes I am still getting very fine red sediment when I drain the system and Fleetguard tec recommends another Restore Plus flush. The EOT and ECT temps are now well within accepctable limits. In order to facilatate this drawn out multiple flushing process I installed Fumoto F108N with size 113 o rings after removing the standard 8 mm hex head drain plugs. On the passenger side it is necessary to remove the starter. There is a hidden bolt on the top. If you remove the interior motor cover it is possible to see that bolt and an assistant may be able to guide you maybe even using a extendable pick up magnet to guide the 13 mm socket. When I put the bolt back in I made sure to secure the 3" ext. to 1" ext. to the 13 mm deep socket with tape. I also jammed the 13 mm bolt head into the socket using tape as a shim inside the socket to keep the bolt form falling out during the difficult by feel replacement. I used 3/8s flexible hose on the Fumoto drain valve to direct the flush into a bucket for inspection.
In addition I have installed an electric solenoid shut off valve in the heater hose to shut off flow to the heater core. I could not find a vacuum shut off in the rig and in hot weather the heater core was making the cab that much hotter.
Also it is may understanding that the Aluminess bumper may block air flow to the radiator so I installed a air scoop under the bumper that directs air up to the front of the radiator
lolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by karma View Post
Any info on the hose routing will be appreciated. Did you tap into heater line?

Thanks

Sorry for the late reply. Mine is cut into the coolant tank lines. Just note that the bumper puts a lot more vibration on the mounting bracket than when attached on the frame. The supplied aluminum bracket broke early on and was replaced with a steel one. I might try a semi ridged rubber mount if I think it's necessary. Right now I keep a couple small hose cutoff clamps in the van so I don't lose any coolant during the filter swap.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote