Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #11

The penthouse top comes with 4 pieces of steel channel to reinforce the opening.

Higher tops are bonded to the perimeter to offer structural rigidity to the whole unit. Some shuttle tops did have roll bar like hoops in them.

In most cases the roof over the driver's compartment is left intact and the rearward ribs are removed.

You wouldn't believe how thin the rib and roof sheet metal is. They were built to be placed upside down not rolled upside down.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
I have 3 brand new never installed tops. I sold one to Shadetrees's friend 3 months ago. I have 2 RB and 1 EB model. I would be willing to trade for your pop top if it is in good condition!
How tall are those hightops? I maybe interested in swapping my pop top for a hightop. My van is an EB
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:17 PM   #13

I have done a good bit of pop top work. That said, I hope to never touch another one in my life.

Do you really like your van? Might be a good time to just sell your pop top van and buy a fixed top van or buy a van and put a fixed top on it. This is not a 'cost savings' idea, just an idea to make it easier while at the same time possibly improving things you don't like about your van.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #14

Playing with the idea of a poptop inSoCal, but struggling with a new one price
NavyNuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #15

Tops and Tops?

Shadetreevanman,
Boy that’s a mouthful! Since you ( hopefully) know a good bit about tops....I have a question. My 2005 Chevy Express EB has a sort of mid-level hirise top.
It’s all aerodynamically shaped ( and a pain in the rear). No way to attach any of my self stick solar panels! It would’ve been so much easier without all
the dips and swoops! Being short, I didn’t really notice this at the time.
I have no idea what this type top is called ( which I’d like to know!) but my question is this; would it make more sense to get a new top, or go with a rack or something to support my panels? The original set is
Unisolar at 168W each and are quite long, but narrow.
Other than applying them along the side, I think a rack or new roof are my only choices. Any thoughts?
Thank You,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyNuke View Post
Playing with the idea of a poptop inSoCal, but struggling with a new one price
I might be willing to exchange my pop top for a high top. EB van, raptor lined top. Yakima channels on back half for load bars.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:34 PM   #17

NRobert,
Interesting thought, but, I live pretty high up in the Rockies, and have seen too many people freezing their buns off, even in summer. I’d love the upper bed
for certain, but don’t think this will work for me. Thanks for the offer though. There at least 2 more Sporty’s in Salida who might be interested. If I run into them, will pass this on.
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
How tall are those hightops? I maybe interested in swapping my pop top for a hightop. My van is an EB
I am pretty sure they are 18". I measured once and rounded it to 19" but Fiberine does not appear to make a 19". I have one EB and two RB's I was going to cut an RB and see if I could convert to Clam shell which I still may no matter if I trade or not. I also have a 3rd generation top for an RB. It is cabin cruiser style (steps up) Which I was going to clam shell but it is 2"s wider in the back. The van 75-80ish did not taper in like my 02 generation. I would like to sell the top or find a 75-76-77 van that I can buy and convert it. I would convert it to 4x4 and clamshell it drop a cummings and sell my 7.3 van.
Vanimal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrobert10 View Post
I might be willing to exchange my pop top for a high top. EB van, raptor lined top. Yakima channels on back half for load bars.
I am definitely interested if you are serious.

Quote=Conniecat
NRobert,
Interesting thought, but, I live pretty high up in the Rockies, and have seen too many people freezing their buns off, even in summer. I’d love the upper bed
for certain, but don’t think this will work for me. Thanks for the offer though.

I believe it is a Ford EB top that he offered, Conniecat. Is yours not a Chevy Express?
Vanimal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:23 PM   #20

Vanimal

18” top isn’t tall enough. A 24” is really what I need since I’m 6’1.

Rob