Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2009, 06:40 PM   #1

dead battery

I ordered a van in 2008. Since then I got deployed and I haven't physically had my hands on the van. It's been in storage. My family is trying to get the van up and running for me, for my return. They said the van won't start. They tried jumping the van's main battery under the hood, and still nothing. Any suggestions?

FYI: Prior to going into storage the auxiliary battery was disconnected like the manual said to do.

parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #2

Re: dead battery

What engine is in the van??

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:52 PM   #3

It's a 6.0L diesel.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:45 AM   #4

Diesels have two starter batteries. As I recall from other posts, you need to jump both of them. Most AAA guys can't do that or don't know. You might try getting a truck service to jump them both or you'll need to either get a charger and charge each or take them out and have them charged. It is possible that the little things that require a trickle charge (radio presets, security systems, clock, etc.) drew the starter batteries down.

I could be wrong...let's see if diesel owners have another idea or solution.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #5

How to jump should be in the Ford manual.
Old 06-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Skywagon

There is a positive stud just in front of the rear spring on the frame under the truck just behind the rear side door. Confused yet? It hooks to both starting batteries (supposedly).
Bill
Old 06-13-2009, 05:24 PM   #7

Skywagon has it right. Hook the jumper battery positive to that stud and find a good ground (frame) in the area. If both van batteries are dead (they might be if it has been sitting a long time) it will take a pretty good jump to get things going. On the diesel, the key needs to be on (with a good battery) till the glow pin icon on the dash goes off before you crank the engine. That takes a lot of poop and is the main reason diesels have the two batteries. If your family has access to a decent battery charger and an electrical outlet they might be able to charge up the van's starting batteries if left on overnight.
Seeing as how you have a diesel, there isn't a battery under the hood, so it's hard to tell where they were attaching the jumper battery. Anyway, no place to jump a diesel van from under the hood. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 07:48 PM   #8

Thanks for all your help! I will let you guys know what comes of it.
Old 06-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #9

Also you need a Diesel or other large engine to jump, small vehicles like my Jeep TJ just don't put anything out and won't do to get the plugs going. The one time I jumped my F250 a tow truck had to be hooked up for 15-20 minutes before I could get it started.

Alternatively you could always have them trickle charge it with the same + stud, then if your batteries don't come back you know you need new ones anyway.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:53 PM   #10

As others have said, jumping a Diesel is not that easy. You don't need both batteries to be charged, but you do need a load of cranking amps. (One car/truck will not give you that)
You can hook two cars / trucks up (make sure they are both running), or leave a diesel truck charging them for 10~15 mins or so.
Put the batteries on a real charger for a few hours is the easiest option. Next time you leave it, use a cheap $30 trickle charger from a auto store (Battery tender for a motorcycle / boat) will do the trick.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote