Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #1

Delaminating fuel tank

Hi everyone, just wondering how many of you have experienced the Ford delaminating fuel tank issue? I don't have any symptoms, but am worried about it in the future. Just trying to justify spending $600 on the project when I could use the money for other(more fun) projects.

thefletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #2

I assume you mean just the surface paint on the outside delaminating? I don't have the factory tank as mine was relocated to the spare tire area when the floor was lowered for a handicap conversion, but my tank is also delaminating pretty severely. I'll likely drop the tank at some point and wire-wheel and paint w/ POR15. Was the $600 referencing completely replacing the tank?
nyyankees588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 12:53 PM   #3

It's the interior coating of some years for the diesel vans. If yours hasn't done it by now your probably good.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #4

I'm referring to the inside coating delaminating. Some owners have had to replace fuel pump, injectors, fuel lines, etc. because the interior coating chips off and goes into the fuel system. Mine is an 2002, but it only has 65,000 miles on it. So, not sure if the "if it hasn't doesn't it by now" makes me feel any better. Probably just being paranoid, but I hate to end up with a $5500 repair bill. And yeah, the $600 is for a new tank.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:55 PM   #5
Site Team

In for a penny, in for a pound. If you're going to address/replace the fuel tank, you may want to investigate the option of a larger fuel tank. I'm pretty sure it would be over $600, but at least you would get some additional value by upsizing.

Herb
Old 04-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #6

Mine is also a 2002 7.3 with 175k miles, I have never had any problems. Look closely at your fuel filter next time you change it if you see anything you may have an issue. The first sign is the fuel pump goes out (clogged). If you turn your key to start and the fuel pump very stops before the 20 second time out, then your pump is going out.

Honestly, if you have never had a problem to date even with low miles you most likely will never have a problem. The miles don't matter at this point, it's time, after 18 years your outta the woods.
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #7

Thanks for the reply guys. I'm going to drop the tank to clean the pick up filters. I guess I will have a better idea then. I just picked it up in November and the previous owner didn't really travel with it. So, his fuel was fairly consistent. I'll be traveling all over the country so I may be putting bio diesel in it at times. That's what is making me paranoid.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
In for a penny, in for a pound. If you're going to address/replace the fuel tank, you may want to investigate the option of a larger fuel tank. I'm pretty sure it would be over $600, but at least you would get some additional value by upsizing.

Herb

I wasn't aware of anyone still making a 40-50 gallon tank for E-series any more. I've heard whispers that you can call someone (Drawing a blank on the shop name, think it was central CA? AeroTank or something?), but it was a 40 gallon, explicitly-diesel-only tank.

My van still has the 27-ish gallon Quigley cut-down tank, and on long road trips it always sucks to stop every 250 miles for fuel (I'd much rather stop every 400 miles to stretch... sometimes my occasional older passenger is grateful that the tank needs filled every 3 hours...). It would afford me a lot more flexibility with fuel stops in Idaho/Nevada and also let me buy more of the good cheap stuff in Sparks before venturing into California...

I've had thoughts about finding a 55gal cutaway tank but I don't think it would physically fit on RB vans and I'd like to avoid adding a second fuel door even if it's a throwback to Fords earlier 90's pickups with dual tanks.

Anyone make -gas- E-series aftermarket tanks still? Pricing?

Erik
Old 04-07-2020, 09:32 PM   #9

I have a box truck, so my tank is behind the rear axle and is 37 gallons. They make a 37 gallon and a 55 gallon poly tank. The 50 gallon would maybe fit but it would require new straps and some other mods I just don't want to do. So, if I replace the tank, I'm going to stick with the 37. Not sure if anyone makes the side mount tanks.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #10

And it's MTS that makes the tanks. I think they are about $600 for the 37 and $725? for the 55 gallon.