Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #11

What about a small tank where the spare tire was? Could probably easily rout a fill up tube as well.

bemerritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:01 AM   #12

DIY Talented WVvan has a thread on installing a diesel tank in his gas van. His build thread is http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-van-3004.html

There is a Index on the first page- go to the Diesel Fuel Tank links. This hold thread is worth reading if you have not yet.

-greg
Scalf77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:17 PM   #13

I installed a diesel heater in my boat, but wanted to try it out prior to tapping the fuel tank, so I used an outboard motor tank on the upped deck to feed it fuel. The heater worked so well I kept it in place and tapped the main fuel tank. I'm considering installing a diesel heater in my van, and if I do, I'll simply use one of the three 5 gallon fuel cans I carry on top of the Alumines box. I'll tap it by drilling a hole in the filler cap and installing a fitting with an internal hose and quick disconect on the outside. Five gallons should last a long time, but filling will be as easy as filling the gas tank.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 12:15 AM   #14

Thanks for the reminder on WVvan, Greg. I knew I recalled someone doing a D2 install on a gas van. I believe part of his rational was to not have propane as it wasn't permitted for travelling through several tunnels that he frequented.

It would be cool to mount a D2 and auxiliary tank externally and then just direct the duct into your rig - nice and quiet. You'd just have to be sure to have some sort of a remote thermostat - I remember that mine was based on duct intake air temperature.

I remember pricing diesel cooktops for the old van because I wanted to try to do the one fuel thing. Holy moly, those are spendy!

Has anyone personally used a D2 and petrol equivalent? I sure liked my D2 and sometimes wish I would have gone the Espar route in lieu of the Propex.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:27 AM   #15

Garage
This guy installed one to run his heater:

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post110935

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...tml#post111500