Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2022, 07:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
That is exactly how I did it, and there have been zero problems. As for the exhaust, I extended it using a piece of 3/4 EMT (electrical conduit) so it exits out the back under the bumper, to reduce the chance of wind blowing exhaust fumes back under the van.

Ditto, here. Take care as to where the exhaust vents. You definitely do not want it under a venting window. Although most do not crack open a window, I do for fresh air. Some RV use an extended added tube you can slide over the outlet and vent it above the roof line. A piece of conduit works well.

Vanimal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:29 AM   #12

FYI, diesel exhaust is corrosive and will make short work of electrical conduit.

I'm using a 4 foot cut of this stuff and it works great, cheap, stainless steel.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Project-Sou...Rod/1000616647

The pipe diameter fits the CDH kit parts perfectly. Since the CDH stuff is a copy of the Planar units I'll bet this hack will fit those kit parts too.

DIY taken from one of the CDH FB sites.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:44 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngster View Post
FYI, diesel exhaust is corrosive and will make short work of electrical conduit..
Thanks, I didn’t know that so I’ll keep a closer eye on it but so far (2 years or so) there hasn’t been any issues and if it does corrode, I have lots more of it.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 05:15 PM   #14

any ideas or pictures on how to install a rotopax on the rear of the aluminess tire swingout? I would want the rotopax to be mounted on the inside of the tire and not outside if that makes sense, does it just attach to the inside bolts? does anyone have a picture of this?
Lcavalletti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:29 PM   #15

Garage
The RotoPax fits perfectly behind the Aluminess box, with about 1.5" of clearance from the rear door - unless you already have something else planned for that space, have you considered that location? Mine is mounted behind the box with this RotoPax mount (I included a support plate on the inside for added strength):
https://www.amazon.com/RotopaX-RX-DL...on%2C92&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NCXKUO7...WxfdGhlbWF0aWM

EDIT: Otherwise, the backing plate can be used (as seen in the Pic's on the link) on the Aluminess tubing behind the spare
Old 11-09-2022, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanimal View Post
Ditto,Some RV use an extended added tube you can slide over the outlet and vent it above the roof line. A piece of conduit works well.
There is a limited amount of added exhaust restriction you can add before it begins to carbon up because it’s running rich. If I were to run it to the roof, I would greatly increase the pipe diameter. I don’t remember the exact number, but the install instructions give a maximum allowable length. I’ve exceeded that but there is only one bend in the pipe and the additional length is slightly bigger so it works fine.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote