Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 12:23 PM   #21

If you’ll have easy access to the back of the panels bolts and nylock nuts might be better in the long run and remove the pointy ends, too.

BrianW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
If you’ll have easy access to the back of the panels bolts and nylock nuts might be better in the long run and remove the pointy ends, too.
I will have easy access when I first put everything together, but once installed I probably wont. So fixes and troubleshooting on the road will be easier with the sheet metal screws.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
The only downside to going this route is the HDPE sheet is expensive. I priced it out and it looks like I will be in the $250 range to cover everything...
Looks great! I was faced with the same decision on a very similar project (removable water system) recently. I though HDPE would be ideal, but it wasn't an option due to availability and timing of a planned trip. Instead, I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" tempered hardboard from HD and covered it with the same speaker enclosure covering used in the pop top. I'm a bit concerned about durability if exposed to water, but it was super cheap ($15 for the full sheet) and the fabric ties the interior in with the upstairs while adding a bit of interior sound damping and "warmth". Maybe an option if you want to try out some inexpensive paneling before committing to your final design with HDPE?
Old 09-01-2020, 06:38 AM   #24

Coming together nicely. One thought for the panel attachment if you think you will need to take them off Might be rivnuts, no sharp points on the back and you can remove the panels and replace without worry of the sheet metal screw not grabbing when reinstalling.

Great work
Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
Looks great! I was faced with the same decision on a very similar project (removable water system) recently. I though HDPE would be ideal, but it wasn't an option due to availability and timing of a planned trip. Instead, I bought a 4x8 sheet of 1/4" tempered hardboard from HD and covered it with the same speaker enclosure covering used in the pop top. I'm a bit concerned about durability if exposed to water, but it was super cheap ($15 for the full sheet) and the fabric ties the interior in with the upstairs while adding a bit of interior sound damping and "warmth". Maybe an option if you want to try out some inexpensive paneling before committing to your final design with HDPE?
Hardboard is a great idea! I checked it out after your suggestion and that would definitely work and look nice. After discussing with my wife, she thought we should just pony up for the HDPE since we have 2 kids under 3 years old and something that is liquid resistant and easy to clean up is a priority. No kids probably would have pushed me towards the route you suggested though.
Old 09-02-2020, 07:26 AM   #26
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
JWA,
I am giving serious thought to removing the bloody big A/C in mine as well. It has never worked, takes up a lot of room, and is pretty much in the way. How did
you go about removing it?
ConnieKat
PS-mine’s the Starcool.....and I hate it!
Just now saw your question to me CK---PM sent, HTH's!

J W
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #27

Did some more work mocking up the hinges on my sample piece of HDPE. Went ahead and modeled and 3D printed a custom bracket for the hinge to mount to the extruded aluminum frame. Included 6 countersunk holes for sheet metal screws to secure it to the frame so that the hinge can then mount flush with the flange. I need to move the hole pattern slightly on the face of the bracket in order for the panel to seat properly in the flange but should be easy enough to do on the next print.
Attached Thumbnails
Hinge Spacer.PNG   IMG_3371.jpg   IMG_3372.jpg   IMG_3364.jpg   IMG_3363.jpg  

IMG_3362.jpg  
Old 09-02-2020, 04:53 PM   #28

More pictures
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3365.jpg   IMG_3366.jpg   IMG_3370.jpg   IMG_3369.jpg  
Old 09-02-2020, 06:30 PM   #29

Garage
Truly inventive - really is cool having the opportunities to follow people's approach to their designs & developing solutions on there own. Have to admire your ingenuity.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:59 AM   #30

Garage
Agree, well done.