Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 05:07 PM   #31

Made some more progress today on the cabinets. 13 Gal water tank came in and passed the fit test. Also got the HDPE sheets and cut all the panels to size. Taped them all in place to see how it is going to look.

I cut both back corner pieces 1" longer in both directions so I can shape them with a jigsaw to match the contours of the interior corners. Have to wait until the van is back from CCV for that.

Next step is figuring out which ones I want hinges on. Current plan is the top of both long middle sections and either the top or sides of both back sections. leaning towards top since I don't want stuff being between the cabinets blocking my access.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3373.jpg   IMG_3374.jpg   IMG_3401.jpg   IMG_3402.jpg   IMG_3403.jpg  

BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:41 PM   #32

They look like the end product will be gorgeous! I really wish there was someone within 100 miles of me that would be willing to help me finish mine. I could really use some assistance. I have the money saved up, but nowhere to either help, or get it finished. In many cases I have the parts, but not the required tools. Ah well, thanks for the updates....can’t wait to see it completed!
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:49 PM   #33

BenJJ
Do you think that what you are using for the cabinet walls ( I think you said HDPE?) would work as a floor
replacement over my steps? Can you tell me anything about the strength etc. of the material. I think with the aluminum frame, it would be light enough for me to lift easily, and attach with hinges and a strap to the
side of my kitchen cabinet. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks,
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:58 PM   #34

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
Made some more progress today on the cabinets. 13 Gal water tank came in and passed the fit test. Also got the HDPE sheets and cut all the panels to size. Taped them all in place to see how it is going to look.

I cut both back corner pieces 1" longer in both directions so I can shape them with a jigsaw to match the contours of the interior corners. Have to wait until the van is back from CCV for that.

Next step is figuring out which ones I want hinges on. Current plan is the top of both long middle sections and either the top or sides of both back sections. leaning towards top since I don't want stuff being between the cabinets blocking my access.
Really nice looking! I would like to see an explanation or pics showing how you’re attaching these. Are you sliding them inside or screwing them to the outside of the frames (inset)?
Old 09-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieKat View Post
BenJJ
Do you think that what you are using for the cabinet walls ( I think you said HDPE?) would work as a floor
replacement over my steps? Can you tell me anything about the strength etc. of the material. I think with the aluminum frame, it would be light enough for me to lift easily, and attach with hinges and a strap to the
side of my kitchen cabinet. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks,
ConnieKat
It would probably work as a floor replacement over your step. I was testing the flex of the material yesterday on some of the longer pieces and it definitely had a little movement. Granted it wasn't screwed in at all so that should improve once fully assembled. You could probably make it work if that was your goal by limiting the panel size and adding a couple more aluminum pieces going across for extra support.

I'll be honest I am a little confused on exactly how you want to use it, but willing to answer more questions if you have them. Feel free to PM me.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:50 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Really nice looking! I would like to see an explanation or pics showing how you’re attaching these. Are you sliding them inside or screwing them to the outside of the frames (inset)?
Screwing them in using the inset with some countersunk #8 sheet metal screws. At least that's the plan! I'll post more pics of that process as I go.
Attached Thumbnails
2020-08-30.png  
Old 09-08-2020, 10:01 AM   #37

Are you planning to compensate for thermal expansion of the HDPE? This FAQ suggests that a 4x8 sheet of HDPE can expand as much as 1/2" between hot summer days and subzero temps, and I could see a van interior being even worse on hot days. With screws holding the panels in place, that could be a problem.

Perhaps you could mitigate this by "clamping" the HDPE in place with small pieces that are securely mounted to the underside of the panels, sandwiching the aluminum flange? They'd be super simple to make, and allow for expansion and contraction based on temp.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibo View Post
Are you planning to compensate for thermal expansion of the HDPE? This FAQ suggests that a 4x8 sheet of HDPE can expand as much as 1/2" between hot summer days and subzero temps, and I could see a van interior being even worse on hot days. With screws holding the panels in place, that could be a problem.

Perhaps you could mitigate this by "clamping" the HDPE in place with small pieces that are securely mounted to the underside of the panels, sandwiching the aluminum flange? They'd be super simple to make, and allow for expansion and contraction based on temp.
That's interesting, I had not considered that. My biggest panel is 12" x 36" which according to their calculator could experience ~1/8" in expansion on the longer dimension. Will be interesting to see how this pans out long term.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenJJ View Post
That's interesting, I had not considered that. My biggest panel is 12" x 36" which according to their calculator could experience ~1/8" in expansion on the longer dimension. Will be interesting to see how this pans out long term.
It may be a non-issue, but I'm sensitive to thermal expansion issues after watching the way my floor "bubbles" when the vehicle gets hot after being left closed up in the summer sun (foam tiles w/ a thin durable rubber layer on top...which expand at different rates).
Old 09-14-2020, 10:27 AM   #40

Found some time to begin the process of attaching the panels this weekend. Started by scoring the back of the panels with my calipers set at 0.25" (aluminum flanges are 0.50" wide so its puts the screw right in the middle). I did this along all 4 sides. Then used a tape measure, small screwdriver, and rubber mallet to place divots along the 0.25" offset score to mark my hole locations. I placed my holes 1" off of each corner and then 3-4 more evenly spread out along the length. Spacing varied from panel to panel depending on the dimensions.

I then drilled 1/8" pilot holes at the divot marks through the back of the HDPE sheet. I then flipped the sheet over, peeled the plastic covering off and countersunk the pilot holes. I did this with a #6 countersink bit with a jerry-rigged stopper on it to control my depth. Next placed the panel in its appropriate inset location and drilled 1/8" pilot holes through the alumium flange. Finally, was then able to actually screw the panel in place using black oxide #8 sheet metal screws. They don't have self drilling black oxide screws on McMaster Carr which is why I didn't use them.

Last step was some rubber covers for the back side of the exposed screws. These came around 1" long so just had to trim them to length with a razor blade.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3467.jpg   IMG_3468.jpg   IMG_3469.jpg   IMG_3470.jpg   IMG_3471.jpg  

IMG_3474.jpg