Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2020, 07:57 AM   #11

Looks great. Interested in watching it come together

Nrobert10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 08:09 AM   #12
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Very nice execution BenJJ!

Those danged factory interior panels below the glass suck up so much room its put a damper on many a build out.

My own '05 E350 EB had those until I removed them completely along with the rear A/C. Rear heat was re-located to a cavity in my raised roof---talk about a bonus in floor area.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 02:30 PM   #13

I belive that material is called Quick Frame
Here it is on Amazon and you can see the corner connections below as an add on item

https://www.amazon.com/80-20-Square-.../dp/B00J3WC23O
Oly11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 03:06 PM   #14

To answer some common questions:

Material can be found on Amazon as well as the connectors. Someone posted a link above. Here is a link directly to the supplier with more options.

https://8020.net/framing-options/quickframe.html

You can actually order it cut to a desired length from them as well but that can get expensive and also requires you to know exactly what you want ahead of time. Could be useful if you don't have a saw to cut it at home though.

I ended up ordering off amazon in 8' lengths just because the shipping was actually cheaper than ordering it directly from them. In total I was about $600 in material including shipping. Right now I have quite a bit extra to make the bed platform and drawer slide. I think I over ordered and could have done just the cabinets for maybe 300-400. The molded corner pieces are surprisingly expensive.

As far as mounting goes my plan is to bolt through the frame and floor of the van. I am going to try and avoid cutting or drilling any holes through the plastic trim pieces on the wall if I can. My family is still growing and who knows how my van will change over time. Would prefer to keep that stuff all intact for more flexibility in the future.

For the panels I will probably just use some self drilling screws to go through the panel and the aluminum flange. Ideally countersunk so the stay flush. Maybe some button heads if I run out of real estate on the edge for a countersink.

For compartments that I need to access I am looking at these hinges and latches:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...XF5U3IZW&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GSB25G7S&psc=1

I am also considering just drilling some 1-1.5" diameter thumb size holes in the panels and using magnetic latches instead. Will be much cheaper. For the hinges above I will have to notch out the flange on the frame which I think I can do pretty easily with a dremel.

Current favorite for panel material is this stuff:

https://www.mcmaster.com/hdpe/marine...thickness~1-4/

Definitely on the expensive side. Probably going to order a 6"x 6" sample piece to see how it looks.

No plans at the moment to offer a kit, but that is an interesting idea. Maybe if there was enough interest I would consider it. Also need to see how the final product turns out! I will say once you know what lengths to cut it is pretty easy. figuring out how to adapt to the interior panels was the most challenging part, so replicating what I have now wouldn't be hard.
BenJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:31 PM   #15

Fabulous! Sure wish you were closer as I could use some help with my “ redesigned” gaucho! Ditto on the request for info on your aluminum? I could use that to “ reframe” the top part of what will end up being my bed. This is the one mentioned elsewhere, that I will need to set up on top of the existing bottom
that covers water tank and batteries. I too had Lego’s but this is a good bit more complicated!
I also plan to remove the door between “ bath” and
main part of my van. I hope to add some shelves on that wall, for which the aluminum would work very well. My van is the EB version of Chevy 3500, so pretty roomy.....lots of small cabinets above, but one lousy drawer! So....working on other storage options.
This van has more hooks attached everywhere than I
have ever seen! You could likely put hammocks almost everywhere.....and yes, they are strong!
Thanks for any help sourcing the aluminum.
ConnieKat
ConnieKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #16

Did your layout in SolidWorks have the measurements you used in your finished product? I have the same body style and was about to start laying wood, but this looks much better. I would be interested to see whatever you have, even if it’s a guesstimate it will help on parts ordering
TCNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:12 PM   #17

BenJJ
Thanks very much for that piece of info! Exactly what
I was looking for. Whatever I end up with absolutely has to be as lightweight as possible. I can’t even lift the bottom of the “ Gaucho” bed, sofa, whatever? It’s
way too much for my busted up back to handle! Therefore, new ideas for sleeping platform that I CAN
lift.
Thanks again,
ConnieKat
Old 08-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #18

JWA,
I am giving serious thought to removing the bloody big A/C in mine as well. It has never worked, takes up a lot of room, and is pretty much in the way. How did
you go about removing it?
ConnieKat
PS-mine’s the Starcool.....and I hate it!
Old 08-31-2020, 10:46 AM   #19

I got my 6"x6" test piece of the textured HDPE and mocked it up on a piece of scrap I had. I didn't like the sharp edges so I broke those with one of those hand tools (forget what they are called) so it didnt come out super even. I will use a router for that on the actual panels.

It was super easy, just drilled a pilot hole through both the HDPE and aluminum flange and then countersunk the hole using a hand tool. I think it turned out great. I used some screws I had lying around which are too long so I need to order some shorter ones. Also may need to cover up the sharp points on the backside but that should be easy. The only downside to going this route is the HDPE sheet is expensive. I priced it out and it looks like I will be in the $250 range to cover everything...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3358.jpg   IMG_3359.jpg   IMG_3360.jpg   2020-08-30.png  
Old 08-31-2020, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNorthwest View Post
Did your layout in SolidWorks have the measurements you used in your finished product? I have the same body style and was about to start laying wood, but this looks much better. I would be interested to see whatever you have, even if it’s a guesstimate it will help on parts ordering
SolidWorks layout on the passenger side was pretty darn close to matching the actual (shortened the front cabinet) but the driver side did not. I had to make some adjustments on the fly to accommodate the interior plastic panels. Passenger side wheel well is covered in carpet and driver side has a molded plastic piece over it.