Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2007, 05:37 PM   #1

Garage
DIY XL storage compartment - pics needed

OK, trying to maximize storage in the van and one of the only options the PO didn't spec was the XL underfloor storage compartment, seeing when he ordered the van he spec'd just about everything else this sorta baffles me.

I really don't want to trek all the way out to Fresno just to have that done $$$ and seeing how I have a buddy who is a welder by trade I figured why don't i make one myself (w/ his help of course)?? It'll just cost me a few $$ for the raw materials and a bunch of quality microbrew along w/ a few hrs/evenings I'm guessing. Thinking this will be a fun winter project and an excuse for me to learn how to weld (he's been bugging me to come down and have a go at welding too!) and cut a good size hole in the van...

Would someone who has the stock XL underfloor storage compartment post some close-up pics along w/ rough measurements? Both close-up shots from inside and under the van would be greatly appreciated so I can figure/sketch this all out.

Also, if there is anything you would have done differently in the design of it pls speak up.

thanks

-derek

Old 11-26-2007, 07:14 PM   #2

I don't think the door is large enough on the XL and the door is made of wood, which has warped in my van (thanks to the roof leak). People with the optional locking top for XL underfloor have a larger opening and a metal door, both of which I'd pursue.

Additionally there is a stopcock drain in the center of the storage floor. It sticks up and if you put a heavy stuff in there it's likely to get damaged. My floor is currently lined with a cardboard box just to keep if from being snapped off, but I think boat plugs or Jeep floor plugs would be a better solution.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:05 AM   #3

Garage
pics or measurements anyone???

Is the size roughly the same as the spare tire that normally lives underneath?

How is it bolted to the van? From underneath or is it a 'drop-in' type of thing?

Thanks a ton

-d