Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2023, 08:19 PM   #1

Dog Platform

Our dog likes to ride up front with us. We used to strap a board on top of my toolbox and put his bed on it.

We decided to clean it up a bit today.

Threaded floor flanges onto both ends of each pipe. Then bolted those to the board wrapped in vinyl. Fits perfect. Inset the legs a little so it fit the way we wanted it.

Parts list -

qty(4) 1" diameter x 12" length threaded pipe
qty(8) 1" threaded pipe floor flange
qty(1) 20"x"16X3/4" board

It's nothing fancy but cleaned the space up. Plus now my tool box isn't sitting on top of that shifter boot ruining it.
Attached Thumbnails
3171238886843415132.jpg   7651341468792866484.jpg  

adamwcordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:32 PM   #2

shoot, should have put this in the small projects. Feel free to delete, sorry about that!
adamwcordell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 04:38 AM   #3

Garage
Cool. I built one as well for the same reason. Did mine a little different, used aluminum square tube and wood.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:55 AM   #4

Adam, great idea, I think you just solved an issue I've been having with my pup.
Marret, would you be able to show a pic of what you did?

My one question is did either of you do something to secure the dog itself? Some kind of strap or other way to keep the pup from getting tossed around? My Boston Terrier is a bit of a lunatic and I'm concerned about her getting thrown around when I need to break hard or make any sudden maneuver.
Thanks,
Dave
Dhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:33 AM   #5

Neat, my guy always rides in the passenger seat. If im going to turn a corner i say "roundy-round" and he braces himself accordingly. If i have to make an abrupt stop i yell "HOLD ON"..... We been traveling together long enough that he understands what it means.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 09:54 AM   #6

Garage
With my girl, I say hold on...haha. She hasn't been restrained, but it wouldn't be hard to do. She moves between the passenger seat and the platform and/or a combo. If my wife or another passenger is along, then she lays on the platform facing forward or gets on the lap of the person in the passenger seat.

I went with a removable concept with a form-fit shape to fill in the areas between the seats, allow seat belt access, allow transfer case shifter access, and since it is form-fitted, it needed to hinge so I could swivel the seat. It is plywood, aluminum square tubing, and some 1x2 for the base and top support.

Also, since it is removable, I use ratchet straps to hold it in, mounted horizontally across the bottom. I put some heavy duty L brackets on the seat mount studs.

Also, I put an additional pad on top with a towel on the top of that. The carpet in the photo is padded and there is an additional pad under that.

Unfortunately my van is in the shop with the doghouse taken out, etc. awaiting a likely serious repair so I can't go take photos. That said, here are a few. I have the actual platform/console here at our house.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:26 AM   #7

Garage
Kinda surprised Chris, thought you would have made the base with some sort of electric scissor lift so you can raise and lower the platform for your dog to see out the front window???
Old 05-15-2023, 10:41 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
Kinda surprised Chris, thought you would have made the base with some sort of electric scissor lift so you can raise and lower the platform for your dog to see out the front window???
Haha Felix, great idea, but alas not needed, she sees out the front fine with the fixed level.