Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2022, 07:14 PM   #1

Dual diesel fuel tanks.

I have to cut down my stock tank for the transfer case to fit. I also have a Ford E350 CC rear mount 35 gallon tank. I'm thinking I want both for a diesel fuel capacity of around 65 gallons. Both tanks would be switched inside the van and the stock gauge would read both. With the return fuel line system and 2 tanks how do you plumb that so the return line is going to correct tank? dual fuel pumps?

Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:29 PM   #2

Plumb in ye ol' dual tank selector valve from the Fseries of yore... 80s-90s Fseries
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
Plumb in ye ol' dual tank selector valve from the Fseries of yore... 80s-90s Fseries
MG that was my plan. I presume this would require 2 pumps, 2 supply & two return lines. With the higher fuel pressure of the modern diesel engines, do you think the 80's early 90's selector switch can handle it?
Denver, CO
Old 01-26-2022, 10:34 AM   #4

correct me if I'm wrong but... all of the diesel tanks I've seen in Ford vans just have a draw straw, return line and level sensor on the "sending unit" that fits in the tank. The fuel tank selector valve would just go between the fuel pump and the tanks.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #5

Lilnuts - the fuel tank pump is not higher pressure. The high pressure is built up inside the injectors using hydraulic pressure of the engine oil.

The ‘94-‘97 fuel tank selector valve is for return-like systems and is the one you want. You may want the matching switch too, but it’s not mandatory. Just matches pretty well. Other DPDT switches will work too. Just use the fuel pumps and fuel lines that come with their respective tanks. The joint below the driver seat is the easiest to put the selector valve.
Old 01-26-2022, 05:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
correct me if I'm wrong but... all of the diesel tanks I've seen in Ford vans just have a draw straw, return line and level sensor on the "sending unit" that fits in the tank. The fuel tank selector valve would just go between the fuel pump and the tanks.

I have both my Diesel fuel tanks out now, and making some repairs.

I can confirm what both mgmetalworks and carringb said, that my E350 7.3 both tanks use a draw straw, return line, and sending unit. A single external low pressure lift pump to draw from the tank of your choosing. Tank --> selector valve --> pump --> engine

You can purchase a generic version of the 6 port selector valve on ebay for $60, or the Ford version for $260 ish

Each tank has it's own supply and return line, that run from each tank to the the 6 port fuel selector valve. As you said, 80's and 90's F series style.

On a '95 like mine (92 thru 98?) the pump is mechanical, driven off the camshaft, and resides in the engine 'valley' between the cylinder heads. The later Diesels use a single frame mounted electric lift pump. In both cases, mechanical of electric, the lift pump is plumbed between the engine and the 6 port fuel selector valve (my selector valve is mounted on the transmission crossmember).
Old 01-26-2022, 06:25 PM   #7

You can purchase a generic version of the 6 port selector valve on ebay for $60, or the Ford version for $260 ish

The 6 port is: tank one in, fuel to engine out, tank one return, tank two in, tank two out to engine tank two return, is that correct?

On a '95 like mine (92 thru 98?) the pump is mechanical, driven off the camshaft, and resides in the engine 'valley' between the cylinder heads. The later Diesels use a single frame mounted electric lift pump. In both cases, mechanical of electric, the lift pump is plumbed between the engine and the 6 port fuel selector valve (my selector valve is mounted on the transmission crossmember).[/QUOTE]

So the pump(s) draw through the selector valve correct?

Mine is a 2002 7.3
Thank you all for your input on this.
Denver, CO
Old 01-26-2022, 09:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post

The 6 port is: tank one in, fuel to engine out, tank one return, tank two in, tank two out to engine tank two return, is that correct?

So the pump(s) draw through the selector valve correct?
Yes and yes
TomsBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:01 PM   #9

Do the two fuel to engine lines ever meet? how do they both feed the engine, yet remain separate systems?
Denver, CO
Old 01-26-2022, 11:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Do the two fuel to engine lines ever meet? how do they both feed the engine, yet remain separate systems?

The selector valve either draws and returns fuel to the front tank, OR draws and returns fuel to the rear tank

To help you wrap your mind around it, look up on youtube "Double pole, double throw switch explained", a 6 port fuel selector valve operates in much the same way a DPDT electric switch does.