Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #21
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Re: Dynamat Soundproofing Project

You inspired me to finally get this project done on my van too. I've been wanting to tackle this, well I finally had the time. After insulating and soundproofing the doghouse and doors a few years ago, I knew this would also make an impact on that 7.3 racket. I pretty much followed the same formula and also replaced the sad worn out grungy old front and rear carpet while I was at it. So far, I am happy with the results, but this next weekend will be the test, road trip to Powell. I will get some pics posted as soon as I can remember how to...

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #22

Wanderluster/REF......where did you source new carpet? I'll be taking on the same project soon. I may add some 3M acoustic thinsulate to some trim panels and the overhead console as well.

Wanderluster.....thx for the writeup and pics....very helpful.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #23
REF

Got the carpet at Home Depot, off the bulk rack in stock, loop pile.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 08-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #24

Wanderluster, any tips for disabling the seat belt tensioner and airbag connections? Is there a proper order to disconnecting/reconnecting these? Was looking in my Ford manuals and of course it says it requires special tools that need to be connected while the seat is out. I was hoping to avoid buying the special tools, but I also don't want to trigger any error codes or, God forbid, fire off the seat tensioner or airbags.

I have an '04 with the 6.0L as well. Also do you happen to know what size Torx bit I need for the seat base (to floor pan)?

I just finished the two front doors, front barn door, and doghouse console. I used products from sounddeadenershowdown.com. Still have the rear barn door to finish, but then it's on to the floor/footwells. The doors helped but I think the big difference will be the floor and footwells.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #25

Sorry for late response.

I did not disconnect anything but the small plugs located under the seats. You will see the wire(s) and female sockets in the picture with the DynaPad installed. I had considered it but just disconnected the seats and had no issues. During the time that the seats were removed I did use ignition for radio, etc. but I don’t believe that I started van. I would make a quick call to SMB about this. I am curious now.

The bit that you will need to remove the seat base bolts is a T55 Torx Plus. It is slightly larger than a T55 but required as you may strip the bolts. I bought mine from my Matco tool rep for about $35. I’m sure you could order one online or buy from Snap-on, etc.

I feel that the most impact I made was the floor, especially around wheel wells and as far up firewall and doghouse as I could get. It is about the patience and detail = results as working under the dash is a pain. Also the DynaPad applied to the back of my front door panels in addition to the Dynamat on the doors. Hope this helps.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #26

Thanks for the reply......

I added some dynamat-like material to the inside of my front quarterpanels for damping, and also added some Mass Loaded Vinyl barrier right above the wheels. Pretty easy access by removing the fender flares and wheel-well liner. While it didn't make much of a difference with engine noise (I was not expecting that it would help) I was surprised that it brought down the road noise and thumps and bumps from the tires. I figured that the quarterpanel was a giant resonant cavity with the only opening pointing back to the front doors, and I had a little extra material....anyhow, I was pleasantly surprised with that result.

I appreciate the help. I will probably disconnect the battery while I'm working on the floor, just to be safe with those airbags and such.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #27

Wanderluster,

If you had been doing this as part of a build in a metal-only cargo van, from the metal floor up, in what order would you have installed the Tyvex, Dynamat, Reflectix (or equivalent), plywood, or anything else you would have put down.

JC
Old 12-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #28

Send a message via MSN to susswein

I'm getting ready to dynamat the doghouse on my van and have a couple of questions:

1) There's already a layer of insulation inside the doghouse. Did you put the dynamat over this layer, or did you remove it and apply the dynamat directly to the inside of the doghouse?

2)Assuming you removed the insulation, did you re-install it over the dynamat?

3) Any advantage to installing more than one layer of dynamat (I may have leftovers, so it would be essentially free)?
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #29
REF

I removed the existing insulation from the doghouse before installing the dynamat and then replaced it over top. Assuming you are talking about the aluminum backed molded fiberglass piece, I cut it out around the rivets. Dynamat works best when it is installed directly on the surface of the vehicle or part you are trying to quiet. As far as layering, not sure, read up on it on the website, couldn't hurt to add more layers? but there might be a limit as far as effectiveness.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
Old 04-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #30

Hello, thanks for this great information. I'm planning on doing basically the same thing that you did. Am I safe to order from your quantities or were you short or did you have extra?

Do you think the Dyna pad helps with sound deadening or is it just padding?

Thanks,

Pete
finn is offline   Reply With Quote