Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #11

Re: E350 Tow Mirrors Exchange (2009 and up)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
Paul,

Thanks for the offer! The eBay seller says he's going to send another driver side mirror out. So, hopefully I won't need to take you up on that.

Eric
Eric,
I will be in search of a pair of tow mirrors for my 2009, as he seems serious could you share his link?
Thanks
Andrew

AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #12

E350 Tow Mirrors Exchange (2009 and up)

eBay.com. :-)

I just did as described by others and watched for a set to pop up.

Appears my story is very similar to Herbs.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #13

Nice write-up Surfgeek. I did the same thing to mine, however instead of cutting the wires you can push the red plastic key out of the plug and then pull the wires (with the metal ends) out of the plug and re-arrange the order in the plug. It is quick and easy to do. Most automotive plug have a similar feature.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #14

E350 Tow Mirrors Exchange (2009 and up)

Anyone know how to swap out the top glass on the power tow mirrors? eBay seller sent out a second mirror with good glass, but broken plastic. I can't seem to figure out how to get the glass off to swap it.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #15

Getting the glass OFF is easy. Get a thin pry bar under the center Pin and it will pop out of the pivot. The 2 drive pins will come out with mirror as well as the two locater pins. Getting them back in is quite a bit more difficult. There should be little red boots covering the motor drives. Save yourself some sanity and pull them out. You will never get the drive pins in without tearing the boots. Snap the drive Pins ( the Spring loaded V shaped threaded ones) into the new mirror. Snap the locator pins into the mirror. Line up the locator pins in the mirror housing. Using a par of thin forceps squeeze the drive pins and put them into the motors. Not a whole bunch of room to see this. Finally PRAY and push firmly with gloves on the face of the mirror so it snaps into the centering button. If you can do it the first time without breaking something I'll commend you in advance. If you break a pin you can always use one off the other mirror. The instructions in the FORD manual don't work as the mirror will not tilt enough to snap on to the drive pins. If you do break a mirror I have plenty.

Paul
Old 04-18-2011, 11:39 PM   #16

Gentlemen (and Angel),

God smiled on me today! I finally got a chance to tackle this project today. Let me start off by saying that I am not a DIY kind of guy. So take this as an advertisement that ANYONE can pull this off.

1. Swapped the broken glass for the good glass on the broken mirror. Took MAYBE ten minutes. Success on first try AND I got the red boots on!

2. Swapped the mirrors per the instructions above. Took about 1.5 hours. Would have gone faster, but it took a little time to figure out how to pop off the piece of plastic behind the door latch to get to screw #4. The answer to the riddle is pop it off from the forward side (that's where the clips are, aft side has tabs that go into slots). Then I had to figure out to pull the speaker to get to the wire connection as my van had the Dynamat treatment. Finally, I had to put the wires back to their original location after swapping them (Turns out that if you get mirrors from the same year van, they match up exactly. Plug and play.).

Thanks go out to Surfgeek for the fantastic write-up! Additional thanks to regist1 for pointing out how to re-arrange the order of the plug (even if I didn't need it). And finally, thanks to Paul for the outstanding description of how to swap the glass!

Next time you're out, have a beer and toss it on my tab!