Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2024, 03:05 PM   #1

Econoline Hydroboost Heads-up

Just a heads-up...

I am procuring parts to convert my 2006 E350 to hydroboost braking.
There is a vendor on Ebay blowing out NOS parts right now for dirty dirty cheap and they have a lot of the smalls that you need to make this work.

Also note most of these items are NLA from the conventional channels so if you want new OEM Ford, this may be one of your last chances.

Best bet is to search Ebay by Ford part number.

I plan on doing a whole writeup with part numbers and installation once I get it wrapped up. If you are confident in the parts you need and have been sleeping on this upgrade, I would move on it.

Big_ern_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 10:07 AM   #2

Sweet! Just did mine on a 2007 E350. Used E450 parts of the same year (MC and Hydroboost). Removed manual vacuum pump and replaced belt with same year F350 belt (shorter due to no manual vacuum pump. Made my own PS hoses out of PS grade PTFE steel braided hose and SS fittings. Wired in electric vacuum pump (key on/run). All went smoothly!
sailincoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 11:35 AM   #3

Got any details on how you wired in the vaccum pump and where you installed it?

In the interest of returning my vehicle to service I just replaced the vacuum pump, will get into the hydroboost this winter or fall when I am not driving all over God's green earth.

I contemplated just leaving the vacuum pump to run the HVAC, since if it dies it will only affect the hvac, but some more simplicity would also be nice.
Old 05-12-2024, 10:27 AM   #4

Used a vpc112 pump. Made a bracket and installed where the small plastic vacuum manifold was. When the vacuum booster was removed, there was plenty of room to determine where I wanted to route the hot wire inside. I ended up following the path of the bumper accessory lights and tapped into a accessory on circuit. Grounded next to pump by bracket mount. You will need to buy the pigtail for pump like the standard ignition s805. It has 4 wires. Use the red for hot and white for ground and clip off the other two. If I had to do it again, I would try to source motorcraft parts for the electric pump and maybe pigtail. First pump I bought was shorted out of the box. Second continued to run. It had an internal leak. Third is working fine and shuts off when vacuum pressure is reached. Can test quickly by holding your finger over port.

I opted to remove manual pump completely due to first failure, the pump seized and I lost the belt. No fun on a trip. The second failure, I just lost vacuum. Not fun braking, but was able to get the van home.
sailincoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_ern_101 View Post
Just a heads-up...

I am procuring parts to convert my 2006 E350 to hydroboost braking.
There is a vendor on Ebay blowing out NOS parts right now for dirty dirty cheap and they have a lot of the smalls that you need to make this work.

Also note most of these items are NLA from the conventional channels so if you want new OEM Ford, this may be one of your last chances.

Best bet is to search Ebay by Ford part number.

I plan on doing a whole writeup with part numbers and installation once I get it wrapped up. If you are confident in the parts you need and have been sleeping on this upgrade, I would move on it.

Is there an update to the Hydro-Boost parts list and perhaps a link to the seller? I have been compiling a parts list for my 2000 E-350 XLT V-10.

I have NOT found any offerings for NOS/New aftermarket on eBay that are cheaper than the discount Ford parts dealers or RockAuto.

I started off with Amazon that listed the lowest (including FREE shipping) price on the internet. $186 (NEW)

The Motorcraft BRB36 is arriving this afternoon and I hope to finalize my parts list and get it all on order. If there are any cheaper sources for the same stuff I would appreciate a pointer.

After I get the parts in I will post my results that seems to apply to most of the 2001 and below Econolines. There should also be wider applicability, but it will vary from year to year and engine type if you want year/model-specific fit.

Motorcraft BRB36 Power Brake Booster Assembly
Brand: Motorcraft

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CA9BWK...roduct_details

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	50892

https://ford.oempartsonline.com/oem-...QaAl7gEALw_wcB
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2024, 02:09 PM   #6

Garage
The shop that converted my 2006 6.0 diesel to Hydroboost provided me this document outlining all the parts (with part numbers), just not sure if it would apply to year & engine types:

Just thought I would throw into the ‘mix’.
Old 05-31-2024, 03:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
The shop that converted my 2006 6.0 diesel to Hydroboost provided me this document outlining all the parts (with part numbers), just not sure if it would apply to year & engine types:

Just thought I would throw into the mix.
Thanks that helps piece together some of the holes.
Old 05-31-2024, 06:17 PM   #8

Garage
If it wasn't already something you anticipated with the conversion, I would certainly recommend installing a larger cooler while you're changing out the rest (as the shop note on the top reveals).
You'll really appreciate the pedal response & braking power once it's all in place - definitely worth the investment. One of the top 3 mods I've made.
Old 05-31-2024, 06:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoxentrix View Post
If it wasn't already something you anticipated with the conversion, I would certainly recommend installing a larger cooler while you're changing out the rest (as the shop note on the top reveals).

I had seen your reference to a larger cooler as well as others. What I have not seen is a recommended cooler.

Bearing in mind this will be a street-driven 2WD and not a 4WD rock crawler. I am going to try and shoehorn some 285/70-17s' in those wheel wells with a minimum lift.

What cooler is recommended?

I have been toying with doubling up the stock cooler by solder brazing the two together (either series or parallel). I would cut off and retain the same barbs for the pair of Y so the original hoses still easily fit.

Those spring hose clamps fit right around the larger shoulder closer to the cooler and can be connected to hard mount the two coolers together as a unit. It would only need mounting holes, but two brackets are available.

Arguably this will give twice the cooling performance; in parallel it will be even less flow restriction but I don't think it will make any difference.

Is 2X good enough?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...K6O92MEP&psc=1

BTW, the Hydroiboost arrived from Amazon. This is the Ford part number.

Brake Booster - Ford (7C3Z-2005-AA)

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...ter-7c3z2005aa

Name:	2000_E350_XLT_Stance.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	179.3 KB
ID:	50893

Name:	IMG_7940.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	50894

Name:	IMG_7941.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	50895
Old 06-01-2024, 08:24 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by posplayr View Post
Is there an update to the Hydro-Boost parts list and perhaps a link to the seller? I have been compiling a parts list for my 2000 E-350 XLT V-10.

I have NOT found any offerings for NOS/New aftermarket on eBay that are cheaper than the discount Ford parts dealers or RockAuto.
You gotta dig and set alerts, amigo.
For example - PSH-24 (6C2Z-3A717-BA) -
Motorcraft NOS from Ebay $30.
102 from Rock Auto
109 from Taska

Booster hard return line 8C2Z-2A051-AB is NLA from everywhere, found one at a dealer out in western New York, Taska and Ford Parts Giant both said they had them and cancelled my orders.
$14 on Ebay, brand new in the motorcraft bag. $60-80 if you can get it from a dealer, which you can't.

6C2Z-2005-AB Master cylinder.
$100 on Rock Auto for aftermarket, $50 on Ebay for OEM.

Once I have my system completely installed I will share part numbers, don't wanna give bad info.