Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2020, 01:33 PM   #1

Endless search for Pop Top Racks

2002 E250 Sportsmobile. Looking for a business that will put Pop Top racks on. We live in California, and Aluminess will not remove solar panel, put their rack system on, and replace panel. Other places don't want to put holes in the Pop Top, in case it leaks. Any suggestions of somewhere that might put a rack system on a Pop Top that has a solar panel, for carrying surfboards, would be very much appreciated.

oceanboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 01:54 PM   #2

Why not just take the solar panel off yourself or have a RV repair or van conversion shop remove and then have Aluminess install the rack. If your unable to re install the solar panel I am sure any RV repair or van conversion shop could re install the solar on your new rack. I would also tell anyone that is hesitant to install the Aluminess rack that it bolts to the sides of the pop top which is outside the canvas area and no interior leaking could occur. I just did this exact install on my SMB and it took me about a day to complete.
Old 12-31-2020, 09:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanboy2 View Post
Any suggestions of somewhere that might put a rack system on a Pop Top that has a solar panel, for carrying surfboards, would be very much appreciated.
Agree with Bellpilot, take the solar panels off and fill the holes yourself and then have Aluminess install the rack or do it yourself. I am in the middle of doing the first part: removing solar panels from my pop top and filling holes. You can check out the latest post on my van thread for some pics. I also live in Long Beach if you want to come check out what I am doing, PM me.

2009-chevy-express-1500-awd
Old 12-31-2020, 09:50 PM   #4
Site Team

Garage
Just don’t do it the tops can’t carry much and will create issues.

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:38 AM   #5

Are you trying to get a full length roof rack? You could easily put a couple of cross bars on top by drilling the mounts through the eaves of the top. I’ve done that on 4 vans and never had a problem. Everything has to come off the rack every night anyway, so a full basket doesn’t make a ton of sense. Unless you upgraded to the power top.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooseberry View Post
Just don’t do it the tops can’t carry much and will create issues.
I agree. Seems like the lift bars have enough trouble lifting just the top. Maybe cross bars are a light weight option.
rizzabove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 11:30 AM   #7

If surf board are all you're looking to carry there are ladder mount carriers that'll solve your needs better than a roof rack. However, I have both and can't live without them. Room in the cabin, while traveling or for just keeping items out of the way - the roof rack is a necessity.

Removing the panels isn't too difficult and re-installing them shouldn't be that difficult. Aluminess sells solar panel mounts that make it rather simple.
jdl8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:44 PM   #8
DHM

I have what you want contact me
DHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:57 PM   #9

You might want to consider a track system with crossbars. I did so after I saw a couple of threads of other members. I was able to mount the tracts outside of the canvas, remount my solar panel into the system. I currently have yakima crossbars with kayak and board holders with the flexibility to change to storage containers ect.
robertg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #10
DHM

Roof Rack

Sold my 99 E350 extended pop top but kept the rack.
/Users/dalemccauley/Desktop/Scan 3.jpeg
/Users/dalemccauley/Desktop/Scan 4.jpeg
DHM is offline   Reply With Quote