Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #1

Exclamation Espar D2 Issues - Temperature dependent start

Hey All,

I've had my Espar D2 installed in my 1998 Ford E-250 Quigley Homebuild since December of last year (many thanks to 1der for the installation guidance). It`s worked great the last 10 months down here in Bend where we live in it full-time (except for a few issues up at Mt. Bachelor as I don't have an Altitude sensor).

We haven't used it much this summer and admittedly, I haven't stayed up on the monthly run cycle. As you'd expect, I'm having issues getting my D2 to run, especially at night when temperatures are significantly lower here in the High Desert.

I've switched to running it on kerosene the last few days and the heater is able to start up just fine during the day time when temperatures are above freezing. However, once the temperatures dip below freezing, the heater shuts off, which is making for some chilly wake ups (38 degrees in the van this morning). I was hoping the kerosene would help clean out the burn chamber with it's hotter burn temps, but I'm starting to lose hope that my problems will be solved this easily.

Last night, i removed the fuel filter and gave it a quick clean. Everything seems fine with it and there wasn't any noticeable gunk built up. After the re-install, I verified that fuel is indeed making it's way all the way to the heater. I took the cover off the heater to inspect the atomizer screen, but realized I don't have the correct socket in order to remove the igniter, so I've tabled that until I can source one.

Any thoughts other than removing the atomizer screen and cleaning the burn chamber to try and get my heater back online?

Cheers,

James

IG: @shreddie_bettie
PulseofdaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #2

Garage
Last time I had mine in for service (about 18 months ago) the technician did make a comment that he has had replace the igniter in a number of units each year. At first he thought that was the cause of my issue, but turned out to be a large air pocket in the fuel line.
Are you getting any codes?
Old 10-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #3

It's throwing F52 unfortunately, which I understand can mean a variety of different things.

IG: @shreddie_bettie
PulseofdaNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #4

Garage
I had the same code - turned out I had to run mine for 15 minutes, then restart - had to do it about 5 times (may have been 6) to rid the fuel line of air pockets - haven't had an issue since.
Believe mine shut down on its own on the first two cycles.

Download the D2 error codes for future reference if you don't already have it:
https://www.butlertechnik.com/techni...2-airtronic-d8

Espar's website also has the manual & error code - both come in handy
Old 10-28-2019, 04:10 PM   #5

Garage
Let me add - At times, the Control unit could issues its own "lock out" - usually if an overheating issue exists. If this happens you'll need to have someone clear it using a Fault Code Retrieval Device. Believe 86Scotty has mentioned Thermo-King shops work on Espar's since they are in many of the big rigs, so they probably have one.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:24 AM   #6

Dismantle and clean it. Probably carbed up. Also, just modify a socket to pull the igniter and atomizer screen... no special tool needed. I used an angle grinder to cut out a notch in the socket.

JFlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
espar, espar d2, espar issues, heater issues