Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 10:42 PM   #1

Espar heater cut in floor

I have a low roof SMB pop-top. Had another company install rear bucket seats (because I liked their seats over the SMB ones). Also had them do the espar heater. I'm used to seeing a much more precise cut of the intake and exhaust holes in the floor of the van under the seat. This company took a big 4 by 6 cut out of the floor next to the frame rail. What do you think? Should I be upset over this or not? See picture.
Attached Thumbnails
VanCut.jpg  

BerkeleyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:35 PM   #2

Since you asked.
I think you should think for yourself and decide if you are upset.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:15 AM   #3

I've installed one of these before. The cut is reasonable as long as the mounting plate seals completely over the hole. Could the cut be smaller? Maybe. But personally it wouldn't bother me as long as it's sealed. In fact the bigger cut allows for better access to the fuel line, intake and exhaust ports when it comes time to service the unit.
Youngster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:48 AM   #4

I pretty much agree with Youngster.

I have installed a few of these. As long as the mounting plate covers the cut and is sealed and the cut edges coated for rust protection I would be okay with what was done if if were our van. This one looks like the mounting plate generously covers the cut by looking the positions of the screws securing the mounting plate to the floor.

There is virtually no way to drill three holes to accommodate the exhaust, intake and fuel line and still be able to get the hose clamps on securely, if at all. There are also the nuts that secure the heater to the mounting plate.

It may or may not matter in this case with regard to the heater mounting location inside the van. Cabinets and other structures sometimes necessitate larger holes to allow the heater to placed in the hole and then moved into final position.

The hole in this case seems very reasonable to me and commendably the corners were made with radius cuts vs square corner cuts which create tearing risks.
Old 06-28-2020, 09:52 AM   #5

I've got to agree with 1der. I'm guessing this is in a place where it isn't very visible, but if it is and your really bothered, you could make a nice trim plate to hide the cut. If you want to see some really crappy cut outs, just have a look at the work Sportsmobile does when they install a top, some look like they used an ax to remove the roof, but since it's hidden under some trim, most folks will never see it. So, it's really just personal preference, practically speaking, it's just fine as long as it's well sealed up.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 10:57 AM   #6

I like to use this style of mounting bracket for the heater installs because it's works much cleaner than other styles. The bracket also stiffens up the area a lot and gives heater a good solid base to mount to. Sealing between the body and the bracket is also very easy.

(Eseries)

(Transit)

The cut you show isn't the worst I've seen from a "pro" shop. I think it is more important to make sure that the heater is solidly mounted and the seal between the heater and the floor is good.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:36 AM   #7

Thanks for all of the thoughtful replies. I appreciate the feedback!
BerkeleyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
I like to use this style of mounting bracket for the heater installs because it's works much cleaner than other styles. The bracket also stiffens up the area a lot and gives heater a good solid base to mount to. Sealing between the body and the bracket is also very easy.

(Eseries)

(Transit)

The cut you show isn't the worst I've seen from a "pro" shop. I think it is more important to make sure that the heater is solidly mounted and the seal between the heater and the floor is good.
MG Metalworks, is the bracket/hardware you have pictured for the e-series available for sale?
Wisco150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco150 View Post
MG Metalworks, is the bracket/hardware you have pictured for the e-series available for sale?
Heatso or Amazon:
https://www.heatso.com/floor-mountin...4aAgGtEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Eberspacher-W.../dp/B0068M8HMW
Old 07-05-2020, 01:03 PM   #10
JRO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUFFALO View Post
Since you asked.
I think you should think for yourself and decide if you are upset.
I’m sorry for your holiday pain. What’s wrong and we’ll all help you through your issues of inadequacy.
JRO is offline   Reply With Quote