Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #1

ExtremeAire Magnum: Burst Hose!

I have used the ExtremeAire Magnum portable unit on two outings so far and both times the polyurethane red coil hose blew out at the same location (ref. attached image). The first time was on the fourth tire in sequence airing up from 35 psi to 65 psi, the second time was on the third tire at the same pressures.

The compressor is rated as continuous duty and I would assume there is no cool down necessary during use. The plastic red hose gets quite hot (hot to the touch!) at its brass junction with the black reinforced hose, which softens it, causing it to burst. Not a good thing out in the field.

Has anyone else had this issue? My workaround is to submerge the hose junction in a basin of water to dissipate the heat. Works well enough but not very elegant.

Otherwise the unit works great.
Attached Thumbnails
P3121352.jpg  

Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 PM   #2

I have the yellow lines with mine (I think). Never had an issue. But I don't put them back in immediately after... I give the compressor a few minutes to cool down.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:42 PM   #3

Mine burst during use, one time after the second and the other after the third tire were inflated to 65 psi. I'm always mindful to store the hose and cable separate from the hot compressor and fittings after I'm done. I wonder if the yellow hose is a different material from the red? How long have you had your compressor, and is it the same model? Thanks for the reply.
Jack K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:56 PM   #4

I've had mine for three years, but it came used with the van.. not sure when PO purchased it.

I'll have to look tomorrow to see which model.. it is 100% duty cycle.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:26 AM   #5

Extreme Outback has US based tech support out of California. Call them and ask what's up.
pugslyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:01 AM   #6

This is physics/thermodynamics 101 at work......

compression processes put out a lot of heat....grab he bottom of your bicycle pump when pumping up road bike tires....

...and expansion processes take in a lot of heat......that's how air conditioners work, and also why spray cans get cold when you spray for a long time.

Having a plastic (polyethylene/polypropylene) hose right at the outlet of the compressor is asking alot for continuous duty.....probably fine for short durations. Household and industrial compressors have metal tubing (sometimes finned in commercial units) from the compressor to the reservoir tank. The metal tubing and reservoir tank volume dissipate most of the heat so that by the time the air gets to the hose it's back to ambient temp.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:29 AM   #7

The user manual states a 30" long leader hose (heat dissipation hose) should be used when using the compressor for long periods of time or high pressures. They sell them through their site, but I am pretty sure you can find them on Amazon too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben10281 View Post
The user manual states a 30" long leader hose (heat dissipation hose) should be used when using the compressor for long periods of time or high pressures. They sell them through their site, but I am pretty sure you can find them on Amazon too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
From the photo it looked like it was attached to a leader hose, but if I am mistaken yeah that could certainly do it.

They spent some time designing an improved check valve that would handle the heat - my original one had completely blown out.
pugslyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugslyyy View Post
From the photo it looked like it was attached to a leader hose, but if I am mistaken yeah that could certainly do it.

Ahh, yes didn't notice that on my phone screen. It looks like VIAIR sells braided stainless leader hoses, I wonder if some leader hoses dissipate heat better than others?
Old 03-22-2017, 09:13 AM   #10

Oh crap, I don't even have any leder hosen.