Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #1

Fishing rod holders

Just got our SMB and love it!!!. Got the PH top without the bed. I need to devise a way to transport our fishing rods. Generally when we go fishing we carry 6 (4 ultra lights and 2 fly rods). The longest ultra light is 5'4" and the fly rods (2 piece) are in cases. What I'd like to do is devise a method to carry or hold 3 on each side of the van. Trying to figure a way to utilize the side rails, that the PH bed would sit on. Any one make anything near this that I might adapt? I tried the forum search and found solutions for under the PH bed, but again I don't have that and would like to use the side rails in some manner. Appreciate any and all help.

garmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #2

Re: Fishing rod holders

Do you have any pictures of the area you want to mount the rack? I dont know what the Inside of a bedless PH looks like.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #3

Fishing rod holders

This is ours.
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351443167.918235.jpg  
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Team

Garage

I take it that you have a walk through and that you want to keep the rods inclosed. I don't see why you couldn't use PVC covered with a thin material to match the interior. The rails are aluminum I think but rather than drill, just have somebody fab up a way to clamp to the rails. There is also the roof to attach to.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:12 AM   #5

Check Ruggedjeeps gallery for additional mounting ideas and pages #21 and #22 of my Gallery for a couple of other options . I am involved with the testing of Lines and Rods for several manufactures and generally have more equipment than we really have room for , and when you couple that with a 13 grandchildren all of whom fish you learn to appreciate sensible storage solutions , incidentally all of the rod holders shown are available from http://www.cabelas.com or http://www.bassproshops.com .
Greggd
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 PM   #6

I keep mine in the same place as OCSMB. I use Quickfists.

steve
Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:11 AM   #7

Several years ago, I built some rod holders for the van and they have proven to be one of the most-used additions we have made. We fly fish only so the rack is designed specifically for fly rods but I imagine you can use them for spinning also.

Here is a picture of the "front" of the rod holder. It is nothing more than wire (coat hanger wire if memory serves) inside of some nylon webbing tape (shoe lace I believe).

In the back, I made little drop loops of nylon webbing (regular climbing runner webbing) for the rod butts to sit in and then additional loops of shock cord and cordlock to go around the reels and snug them up against the nylon.

Here's a pic with the loops empty:

Here is a pic with the rods in so you can hopefully see how the system works.

We have never had one fall out, we've never damaged one while living in the van (they are pretty far out of the way) and it will hold up to a 10' fly rod.
DUKCSUN is offline   Reply With Quote