Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #1

Lightbulb Flip-down ceiling TV install

Hey guys,

I had the crazy idea to install a tv that flips down when in use and folds up to the ceiling when it isn't. I've found this mount which seems pretty good.

I was thinking about putting that onto the cab ceiling between the 2 front seats. It would fold down and the TV would face the rear. My question is: What is the arch on the ceiling between the 2 front seats made of? The pop-top latches are bolted to this same arch. It seems fairly sturdy. Do you think I could drill through that and install this mount?

The only down side I can see is having to crouch even lower when getting into the front seats.

Thoughts?

Old 06-08-2020, 09:52 AM   #2

Wow, I wish I had seen that mount years ago. I fabricated one for my boat from plywood and hinges, but that would have been much cleaner. I don't know what the arch is made of, but I'd guess that if you devised a way to secure the rear part of the tv when it's up against the ceiling, it should be pretty secure.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #3
Site Team

I had a built-in, ceiling mounted, flip down monitor in my SMB that would display DVDs from the in-dash CD/DVD player. Frankly it didn't get a whole lot of use, it was in the way of using my rear view mirror to look out the back doors, and I think I would have been much better off with a large tablet that could be held, propped up, or temporarily mounted on a holder.

It all depends who will use it, how many people will use it, when it will be used (while driving, while camped), and what you will display on it. To me a TV is a single task device, where a tablet provides much more flexibility.

Herb
Old 06-08-2020, 10:37 AM   #4

I used to have a 40" TV mounted on a flip down swivel mount allowed me to watch inside or outside with a satellite receiver. Took up a lot of head room, about 6 ". Great setup but really only for long non off road camping road trips.
dig255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 02:44 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler View Post
... To me a TV is a single task device, where a tablet provides much more flexibility...
Herb
Has to be one of the most logical assessments yet.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #6

I haven't built mine out yet, but I'm planning on putting in a projector and pull down screen in my build. You can get really small projectors and then I'll connect it to my Laptop or cellphone to play off. And I'll make it movable so I could also put a sheet on the outside of my van and watch movies at night if I wanted.

Just another idea to have TV but might take less room.
(Though projectors are not very good in the daytime without blackout curtains.)
DuggyFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #7

I made a mock-up box at 63cm x 36.5cm x 15cm (6" thick/deep). This would be worst case scenario thick for the mount + monitor. After having received the mount, I can confirm it's 3" thick folded up + the monitor which will be 1.5-2" thick, so it should total only 4.5"-5".

I removed the bottom panel off of the arch. Here are some pictures of what's under there:

Now I need some ideas for how to bolt up the mount to the roof ribs there. The mount will have to be mounted slightly lower (2cm) than the ribs to match the mounting surface of the blue panel I removed. I was thinking something along the lines of:

4 metal screws secure wooden block into metal van rib
4 - 6 wood screws secure mount into blue panel + wooden block

Unless I build the wooden block around the rib to be thicker in front and behind it, I'll only have 2cm of wood to screw the mount into.
Old 06-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #8

Why a tv? Why not a flip down monitor or a iPad?

Android 8.1 Car Overhead Flip Down Monitor 13" with WiFi, Smart 4K Ultra-Thin Ceiling Video Player IPS Screen Roof Mount TV Built-in Stereo Speaker, Support Bluetooth, FM, HDMI in, USB, AV in- Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RYQN67P..._xTS8EbDRYNZYZ
jcxstar13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxstar13 View Post
Why a tv? Why not a flip down monitor or a iPad?

Android 8.1 Car Overhead Flip Down Monitor 13" with WiFi, Smart 4K Ultra-Thin Ceiling Video Player IPS Screen Roof Mount TV Built-in Stereo Speaker, Support Bluetooth, FM, HDMI in, USB, AV in- Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RYQN67P..._xTS8EbDRYNZYZ
Yea, not a "TV" per say. I am looking at LG 27" 4k monitors.