Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #1

Floor mats

This is pretty minor, but hey, I love it.

I threw some Harbor Freight interlocking foam mats in the van and cut to fit the floor. Mainly cuz I was too lazy to get some new carpet, and I figure it was hanging around the garage anyway. It's the stuff that you use on concrete if you have to stand a lot. It's not as beefy (or heavy) as some, but it's way cheap (and there's usually a coupon).

Anyway, it sure feels nice on the footsies, and it kept the floor warm. I didn't realize how much heat I lost through radiation out the bottom. And if you're like me, you end up doing a lot of kneeling down, especially reaching in to get stuff in lower compartments or with the penthouse down. This makes it much easier on the knees.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #2

Floor mats

Excellent idea. Thanks.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:34 PM   #3
Site Team

Garage
Re: Floor mats

I added a wally-world throw rug over my SMB carpet mainly to protect the factory stuff when I take it to SMB for inside work but I never pulled it out. It did add comfort and some insulation but I can see that product you're using Rob would be nice. A couple of questions
> Does it grip to the floor? (I have the marine vinyl)
> How thick is it? I can barely get my cabinets open using the two carpets.

Thanks

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:04 AM   #4

Rob, I did the same thing about 5.5 years ago. I'm guessing it is about a 1/4 inch thick. I did have to make a cut out so I could open a cabinet as it wouldn't swing over it.

It is pretty "grippy" and does not slide around on the floor. It is also much more durable than I expected as we constantly have dogs on it (when they are not hogging up the couch). It is great for insulating the floor. The other huge advantage is that it is easily removed and hosed off after a trip.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #5

It's 1/2" thick, and the cabinet doors and pantry all just clear it. It sticks pretty well to my marine floor, although I cut it so it fits rather tightly against the cabinetry.