Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 10:31 PM   #1

Ford E Series Cruise Control Button Repair or Replacement

My project today was to replace the cruise control buttons. I got them off Amazon and they are actual Motorcraft buttons. When I called a shop to see how much it would be to get them replaced I was quoted 350-400.00! The parts is under 110.00 and it took me about 20 minutes to change them out.

Here is what it looked like when I started:

First thing to do is disconnect the negative battery cable. There are a lot of reports about air bags going off when they are removed. I ran a towing company for years and we messed around with a lot of airbags and they were actually quite difficult to go off unless they are properly triggered. With that being said obviously be careful and be sure and disconnect the battery cable but don't let worry about the airbag scare you from doing this it is a really simple job.

Here are the tools I used:

5/16 Socket (1/4 drive is best because the holes in the steering cover are small.)
Socket extension
Ratchet
5/16 Box wrench (ratcheting is nice) Used to disconnect battery cable
Leatherman Surge ( I carry this all the time, I used the knife to carefully pry the release clip on the red connector. The small scissors are also very nice for trimming the ends off the zip ties.)
Zip Ties (Only need 4 but I bought an assortment.)

Pop the small covers off of each side of the steering wheel.

After the covers are off remove the small 5/16 bolt behind each cover these are the only bolts holding the airbag in. After that tip the airbag forward and remove the two connectors. There are videos showing how to do this without unplugging it, but it is very difficult to work around it. It is much better in my opinion to just unplug them.

After it is out this is what you will have:

Just cut all the zip ties and then lightly pry the old buttons out. They are just held in by clips that push into the steering wheel. Then just lay in the new wires, and then snap in the new buttons and plug it back in. I used Blue and yellow zip ties since that seemed to match the wire color scheme

After that just plug the airbag back in and set it back into the steering wheel. The four posts that stick up make sure it is aligned very well with where the bolts will go back in. Just replace the two bolts and covers and then reconnect your battery cable.

I would suggest starting the vehicle by sitting in the passenger seat just in case the airbag decides to deploy. As I mentioned this is a very small probability but just to be safe. If the airbag doesn't go off when you first turn on the ignition then you are back in business with a cruise control that works again.
Hopefully the photos show how simple this is, not a very complicated project at all.

www.DirkMitchell.com
Dirk Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:05 AM   #2

I bet it is nice having CC again! I did this same fix while hunting down my CC issues as well. Unfortunately a wire elsewhere was causing my issues. I managed to find CC buttons that light up green like the rest of the dash colors too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2017, 10:16 PM   #3

The Motorcraft SW6010 Cruise Control Switch is the (green) backlit version of the Motorcraft SW5922 Cruise Control Switch .

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-SW...ype=automotive
Old 03-07-2017, 12:56 AM   #4

I've actually found a few cruise control setups in pull a parts (when I pieced together mine) for usually less than $50...
Sometimes I'd swap the buttons from a expidition to get the lighted ones.
A few months back the lighted ones wouldn't work for me so I tossed them out, I didn't think there was a market for it.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:53 AM   #5

Nice write-up, thanks!
Teutonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:03 AM   #6
Site Team

Yes, great write-up, and it does seems simple. I've always stayed away from removing air bags, but this puts my mind at ease.

Herb