Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2021, 02:21 PM   #1

FordPartsOne 2" Suspension Lift Kit Problems

Hey all, running into some problems installing the FordPartsOne 2" Suspension Lift kit on my 1997 E-350 EB Cargo V8 (gasoline). They bought out Maxx-Lift as I understand it. The unsolved one at the moment is shocks-- mechanic says the stock shocks aren't long enough to fit anymore with the kit installed, while the FordPartsOne engineer insists that's not the case. Mechanic can't find replacement shocks to fit.

Has anyone encountered this, or could anyone explain how to go about finding shocks that'll fit?

from another thread replaced to this 2" lift install: "Shock selection is very important with the kit and one that took me a decent amount of time to work out. I ended up using Explorer Pro Comp 1000 series shocks (EXP118510) that are $32 each from 4 Wheel Parts. These are the appropriate length and allow for the needed droop travel increase to prevent topping out the stock shocks. The stock ones don’t work, regardless of what the companies say so plan on spending money here as well."

That commenter (@REDOVAL) had a 2002 E350 V10, which I'm guessing requires different size shocks than a '97 EB V8.

Any and all help is much appreciated. In the meantime, FordPartsOne is ignoring requests for assistance, and I'm learning an important lesson about getting what you pay for

97_e350_buttermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #2

Shocks can move two directions, up or down. Compression or rebound, however much lift you add to your vehicle takes away from the shocks rebound travel. Theres far more to it than just being able to get the shock mounting hole over a stud on the axle. You must have sufficient rebound travel to allow the suspension to rebound properly or the vehicle will ride like a lumber wagon.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #3

Usually 2 inches is enough that the stock shocks on a truck can be reused. It isn't perfect but it works well enough. It sounds like your mechanic isn't comfortable with doing that. If you are happy with well enough find another mechanic. Any decent mechanic can add a spacer kit like you want. It will never feel factory perfect but anytime you lift or lower a vehicle from stock you affect the intended design. Sometimes with drastic change but often with just an aesthetic modification.

You can often get measurements of shock length but it isn't that easy to just find a shock that is 2 inches longer than stock and performs like stock.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:20 PM   #4

Stock shock is fine for a 2" lift.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:11 PM   #5

If you have the kit installed already. Remove your lower shock bolt. Jack up the van from the frame, when the tire leaves the ground see if you can bolt the shock back up. If you can't your shock is too short. If you need a longer shock, be sure to add 1/2" + how much the stock shock was short for a new total extended length.

Pick out a shock that meets your length needs. Find the collapsed length of that shock.

Next step is remove your spring and jack up the I-beam until it hits the bump stop. Measure the shock length with the suspension fully compressed. Be sure to subtract at least a 1/2" for bump stop compression.
If the compressed length is slightly greater then your new shock compressed length, then your good to use the new shock. If the new shock is longer then you will have to raise the bump stops. High enough that the compressed shock length is greater.

Sounds like a lot of work but it is pretty easy and the only true way to know if your shocks are the correct length
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #6

Once you have cycled your suspension (measured the full compression and droop lengths) you may find a suitable shock from this table.

https://www.ridefox.com/subhome.php?...+Top+-+Eyelet+
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 04:20 AM   #7

I have had the 2" suspension lift from FordPartsOne on my 2001 E350 7.3 liter diesel with no problems with stock shock.

Just be prepared to get a front end alignment.

WRK VAN
Old 03-21-2022, 08:46 PM   #8

Hey 97 E350 Buttermilk, what ended up happening with your Fordpartsone lift and your shock length search? Did you get it to work? And if so, how are you enjoying your lift?

MarinBlaine
"MooseMobile"
2001 E250 5.4 EB50 Aero Hightop
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 05:01 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinBlaine View Post
Hey 97 E350 Buttermilk, what ended up happening with your Fordpartsone lift and your shock length search? Did you get it to work? And if so, how are you enjoying your lift?

I'll caveat this by saying, the following is the amateur account of what happened from someone who's not at all knowledgeable on the nuances of suspensions (though i suspect that will be obvious..)

After much hemming and hawing, the shop installed the kit. Used the same factory shocks but were not happy about it. Insisted that they need to be 2" longer. Travis, the FordPartsOne rep, stopped replying to my questions (sent along from the shop) after the first exchange. Not helpful at all. The installer was not comfortable with the pre-loading at first, for one thing. Being a general purpose auto shop, I think it's possible that a lack of suspension expertise may have come into play. They did get the job done in the end, to their credit. Out the door for $834 with camber adjustment for the "massively negative front camber", and alignment.

Couple photos of Buttermilk below, one from the day of purchase, one post-lift. A couple other factors in play with the painted wheels obviously, but hopefully captures the essence of the lift. Truthfully, it's hardly noticeable to the untrained eye I'd say. Though my girl does now insist on nerf bars, so that's something. Once these tires are worn out I'll be looking to go bigger on wheels/tires, and then I think it'll likely show more. Negative impact on drive quality/handling not terribly noticeable, though I do think the suspension feels different, when i hit a highway seam at speed for example. To some extent that comes with the van territory anyway
Attached Thumbnails
1A0010A9-1978-4A77-9D44-CAC79731A6C2-15419-000005176F50CE5A.jpg   f23b6f2afbd84498b8f25d8dbf0c5bcf.JPEG  
97_e350_buttermilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 08:24 PM   #10

Thanks for the update and pix, I think it looks great!

MarinBlaine
"MooseMobile"
2001 E250 5.4 EB50 Aero Hightop
MarinBlaine is offline   Reply With Quote