Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #1

Frame bolt chassis renovation

Hello!
All we know how difficult is to remove frame bolt and usually the most common solution is to cut it off. But we know also that 85% of bolt threads on Ford vehicles are metric. Yes, you can easily buy new frame bolt kit with insulator and replace it. But if you count your money and know how to deal with issues by yourself so that post is for you. I am not a pioneer i know but hope that my short post will help someone. If you a lucky man and easily can go and buy such bolt just skip this post. But its not easy to find 12x1.75x180 in nearest stores. By the way you need a strong grade bolt metal. Ford uses 10.9 but you can go 8.8. So i went to the store and did not find any metric bolts that i need. Most of them was for wooden projects such as stools and patio furniture. I mean that they are not strong enough. So i took 1/2x7 bolt at Lowes which had 10.9 grade. Looks cheap because of zinc coverage but it does the job. Also bought a hex nut for a bolt and started my renovation=) I just cut off the old hex nut and welded a new one. So we have a long enough bolt with specific grade and we can save our time and money. But!!! Only if you own a welding machine and can use it. Total budget is $3.75 except electricity=)
Attached Thumbnails
59f445a6-518d-4b42-858b-07b3cc6a79f0.jpg   fa01a575-54bc-4a8b-8cb9-d13769a32c26.jpg  

Old 07-10-2021, 06:25 PM   #2

Metric fasteners are strength rated by Class and US inch fasteners are strength rated by Grade.

A metric class 10.9 bolt has a yield strength of roughly 940 Mpa or 130,000 psi which is the same as a grade 8 bolt in inches.

A metric class 8.8 bolt has a yield strength of roughly 640 MPA or 92,000 psi

Classes 10.9, 8.8 etc are a strength designations for metric fasteners and grades 5, 8 etc are strength designations for inch fasteners.

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ade-chart.aspx

These fasteners are cold rolled to achieve the above ratings; welding on the fastener will reduce the yield strength.......so please be mindful of this.
2003 Honda Element
boywonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the good information. As for your advice on weakening the metal, I thought about it when welding. Firstly, do not weld without stopping, but in small steps. And the screwed-in bolt not only centers the nut, but also takes away heat and is a kind of heat sink. As a result, we do not have a super temperature to weaken the metal. This part does not work for twisting, which means we are not afraid of welded defects. It was possible not to weld it at all, but it is more convenient during installation =)