Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #11
Site Team

Garage
Re: Front 2" Receiver Hitch...Pros and Cons

We stopped mounting our bikes on the front almost immediately but imagine using the front mount in some way for long trips. We didn't like watching the bikes sway from our Yakima swing out hanging rack -- a tray rack might be better -- and found it difficult if not impossible to make right hand turns on narrow streets with a car in the oncoming traffic lane. Just too much forward extension. (We have lots of narrow streets hereabouts.)

Don

Life and baseball both sometimes are not fair, but it is how you play the hops that counts.
—Scott Miller, NYT Sports
rionapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:02 AM   #12

I really like our hitch up front for bikes. We have a very old Yakima rack for two or with attachment 4 bikes. With four it sticks out quite a bit, but we are usually just carrying 2. I actually choose the Buckstop outback bumper because it included the 2" reciever hitch (and I thought it looks cooler than the aluminess). I can't imagine having to mess with the rack every time I wan't to go into the aluminess box or back doors. In camp I actually store the bikes on the rack and lock them up.

The bugs do make a mess, but hosing them while they're still juicy helps.

Toyo LT285/70 R17
4MacFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:18 AM   #13

Storage at camp is another good point. When not towing we put the bikes in back but when we set up camp the rack goes in front for storage and lockup. The sway was an issue but a couple bungee cords fixed that.
Millerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #14

I don't know what your van is like, but I think they're essential for towing. It depends on whether you've got an aftermarket bumper, and how it's attached, but having a tow point up front is a necessity for offroading in two or four wheel drive. Many front bumpers are held on with a few relatively wimpy bolts and have poor attachment points. Front tow hooks are often pretty useless as well (and I have a couple; not good for serious stuff).

So I'm a huge fan of having a receiver up front, if installed correctly to handle this kind of work. Lots of bolt-ons don't fit, or are so hard to install that you might as well weld one on, or have someone do it. Properly constructed, it braces the front frame rails and provides a tow point you could hang the van from, and that is relatively immune from damage due to side pull. And you can use it for racks, steps, etc. Right now I have my Hi Lift stuck in there.

I mounted a winch on top of the front hitch receiver; worked pretty well. Some photos:

Rob
Old 09-07-2013, 11:36 PM   #15

We use our front receiver for a 2nd spare tire, works well.
johnolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #16

The vans do have a front crumple zone, or I should say that my 1995 does. t'aint very sophisticated, just some wrinkles pressed into the frame close to the frame ends at the front, with little triangular 'bites' taken out, presumably to create a weak spot. And I'm with Rob, I just haven't got a round to it yet.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #17

I want to have a 2" receiver tube welded or bolted below the front bumper on my 1997 Ford long wheelbase SMB, and purchase or have fabricated a slide-in and removable mount for the spare tire. I do not have enough room in my garage to leave the tire on the front. This would be primarily for better weight distribution. It will probably only be used for the spare tire, so I do not see the need for a complete front hitch, but I will go that route if necessary. I do not see any place near the center of the van where the receiver tube could be placed. Any advice anyone can give me will be appreciated.
antibo12 is offline   Reply With Quote