Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to lowracer
Gas Detector Upgrade / Modernization

The only thing that keeps me awake nights in my new (used) SMB is the fear of a gas (CO or LP) leak gassing me and my family. The detectors in the SMB were the originals, and they're past their expiration date.

Another issue with the original detectors was their huge current drain. I couldn't believe it when I read how much current they draw. Add to that the test procedure involving spraying butane into the detector (both LP and CO), and I was ready to cut them out and put in new ones.

Fortunately technology in the last few years has produced a combination CO & LP detector in a single package. It draws about 100mA, and is tested simply by pressing a test switch, no butane is required. It was this unit I decided to purchase to replace the originals.

The unit I selected, a Safe-T-Alert combination CO / LP detector, has some pretty tricky limitations on where it can be placed. It had to be within 20" of the floor. It couldn't be within 1 foot of a door or window or HVAC vent. It could not be placed on an exterior wall.

I couldn't use the location of the original propane detector, since it was too close to the door, and I wasn't sure there was sufficient free space behind the wall.

I couldn't reuse the location of the original CO detector, since it was mounted on an exterior wall, and was much more than 20" off the floor:

After some deliberation, I decided to mount it on the long door under the rear bench seat.

First step was to remove the door, then mark off a suitable location for the unit and drill some pilot holes:

The holes were widened with a larger drill bit, then cut out the mounting hole:

The detector finally mounted in the door.

Now to wire it up:

Note that these detectors have a date stamped on the back. They're good for 5 years at which time it's a good idea to replace them.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 PM   #2

Still a good idea to test it with gas

Pressing the botton only tests the circuit functionality not the actual sensor. Sensors can wear out before they expire if they are constantly exposed to low levels of either CO or LP. Testing it with some gas is the only way to ensure that the sensors are working correctly and not burned out or still functioning but not within an acceptable range.

Also you should look into the specs of the sensors, most are UL rated sensors which alarm at different levels depending on duration of exposure. Read the literature and be sure that you can live with the limitations of the sensor you are installing. In the case of CO, I would rather be alerted earlier rather than later because of its toxicity. LP has an odor to it that you can detect at very low levels, CO is colorless, odorless and tasteless. I have not picked up my used SMB, but a quality CO detector is first on my list of things to replace. The nice CO detectors will have replaceable sensors that need regular testing/calibration, but they are worth the additional cost, IMHO. Instead of replacing the whole unit, new sensors can be installed.
Soloracer is offline   Reply With Quote