Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #11

BobF,
Who in Fresno said they would install the gas model?

I spoke to Peter about 3 weeks ago and he said they have not and will not install the gas version. I would like to get this or the Webasto after reading of Jeffs install. Following Jeff, I may do it myself.

Does anyone really read this stuff other than surfgeek?
cellularSTEVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #12

Time for a followup on this...
so last March while in Lake Tahoe I had problems with the heater going out on me... not good. I called webasto tech support and the guy said altitude isn't an issue and that it sounded like i had air bubbles in my fuel line, well i get under there and sure enough there was an air bubble so I figured that's what it must be. When i got back to phoenix I tightened up all the connections and the heater worked perfect. I used it a few times this summer in Bend, OR and once again it worked just great.
This past week I arrive in Telluride, CO and the heater will not start
I start thinking it over and i'm thinking it HAS to be an altitude issue so I call tech support again and tell them i need to adjust my heater to work at higher altitudes and this time the guy i spoke to is like, "oh yeah it definitely needs to be adjusted for that altitude". Of course this can only be done via their computer software so I have to take it to a service center to have it done... what a hassle. I inquire to see how much the software and connector would be so I can do this myself if i have problems in the future... $700 ... that is friggin ridiculous. The guy at the service center is telling me that once it's adjusted for the higher altitude it will still work at lower altitude it just won't put out as much heat... we'll see. With espar releasing their high altitude kit for their heaters which automatically compensates for the altitude you're at I would have to recommend purchasing an espar over the webasto.

Oh and sorry but my website is offline right now so the link to my old article and pictures doesn't work.
jeff@work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:25 PM   #13

Interesting. There are guys in Los Angeles who sell and install Webasto furnaces and they told me that getting it to operate at altitude was a simple matter of making an adjustment on the unit. They also said that the next version will have a switch on it for operation at high altitude, but they could not say when that next version would be available.

FWIW, I was quoted $1,526 for the unit and $600-800 for installation. Cheaper than the $2900 quoted by SMBW for the Espar, but now I'm not sure about the altitude thing...
1999 EB 4x4 7.3l diesel. Custom layout: 4 capt, big bed, PH, fridge & sink. Aluminess all around, bushwhackers, AR wheels, racks and yakima box on top. Our 2-year-olds have for some reason named it "Moose Van".
wannaSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannaSMB
Interesting. There are guys in Los Angeles who sell and install Webasto furnaces and they told me that getting it to operate at altitude was a simple matter of making an adjustment on the unit. They also said that the next version will have a switch on it for operation at high altitude, but they could not say when that next version would be available.
WannaSMB, Please let me know which company(s) in LA and who you spoke to. I have been communicating with Jeff@Work (the original poster) since he is still haveing the high altitude issues. I have been holding off and am glad to hear they are coming out with a new version with a switch. I hope it is for the gas version too.

steve
Old 12-15-2008, 04:34 PM   #15

From Zugg:

The phone number for the Webasto dealer in L.A. is 562-222-1077
1999 EB 4x4 7.3l diesel. Custom layout: 4 capt, big bed, PH, fridge & sink. Aluminess all around, bushwhackers, AR wheels, racks and yakima box on top. Our 2-year-olds have for some reason named it "Moose Van".
wannaSMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:59 AM   #16

Re: Gas Webasto Airtop 2000 install

I always hate it when someone posts a problem they're having and then doesn't follow up with the resolution...

So I left this off last year when i was freezing my butt off in Telluride... i contacted a webasto shop in Grand Junction that said he would take a look at it... well they were very nice but didn't really deal with webasto's much and didn't have updated software or the proper connection to hook up to my heater.

After that i left GJ and went down to Moab to warm up and started calling around to shops in Salt Lake City, a few of the shops i contacted told me to contact another individual that does that stuff and i did, talked to him about it and he said he could take a look at it and adjust it to run at higher altitude... then when i tried to get a hold of him to setup an appointment he wouldn't return my phone calls... awesome.

At this point I thew in the towel on fixing it... i was frustrated with it and had been traveling for a while in my van and was a bit burnt out on that anyways.... fast forward to a few months later and I did finally take the webasto apart and it was COMPLETELY filled with carbon. So i thoroughly cleaned it out, put it back together, put it back in the van and on the first attempt it tried to fire up but didn't... make sense though cause it needs to get the fuel back through the fuel lines, however... additional attempts after that did nothing and it was flashing the error code saying it was locked out due to failed start attempts. Well to clear the lock out you're supposed to pull the fuse... well that did nothing. Frustrated with it i just boxed it back up and figured i'd deal with it later.

Well later finally rolled around and I was getting ready for a trip back to CO. I sent it off to stewart & stevenson in commerce city, CO. When i talked to them, they seemed very professional and like they knew what they were doing. A few days after they got it they called me, there was nothing really wrong with it... i was pulling the fuse while it was turned off... you have to pull the fuse while it is turned on to clear the lock out code! dammit.. haha

Anywho they cleared the codes and checked it and yes it was running rich, so they set it to run at higher altitudes sent it back to me and now it works like a charm. Ive been on the road a little over a week now hitting up aspen, keystone and fruita running it between 5000 and 9500 feet with no problems, I'll have to take it apart when i get back home to see how much carbon has built up. The guys at stewart and stevenson were awesome at answering my questions and told me to just call them if i'm having any problems so they can try to walk me through fixing it without having to send it back to them.

Essentially my problems boiled down to:
1) The heater was just not setup for the altitudes i wanted to use it at.
2) When i first had problems and contacted webasto support inquiring if the altitude could be an issue whoever i spoke to that time didn't know what he was talking about and said no it wouldn't be an issue (the times i called webasto support when doing my install they were very helpful and knowledgeable)
3) I wasn't clearing the lock out code correctly!
4) I simply had a lot of trouble finding a good webasto shop to work with... which was probably the most frustrating part to me.

Knowing what i know now when i first had the problem in tahoe i could have just pulled the heater, cleaned it out, and had it back up and running again... even if it was running rich i would still have had heat... hopefully now that it's adjusted to run at the higher altitudes it won't be an issue.

Sorry if someone else already covered a bunch of this stuff with the webasto heaters but i haven't been following the forums as much lately... it was getting too expensive always wanting to add the new toys everyone was getting
Old 10-06-2009, 10:55 PM   #17

Hey Jeff,
Thanks for the follow up on this. Several of us gas owners are interested in getting single source heat. Keep us posted over the next few months to see if you can clean/and clear it without sending it in for service.
steve
Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #18

Great report and your site is also very good.

Really interested in your long term experience with the heater. Does sound like GOOD technical support is the real key.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #19

In another thread on here http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/vie...php?f=2&t=2427 it was mentioned that setting up the furnace to only run on high helps with the carbon problem. Have you thought about trying that with your Webasto?

I am currently debating between a espar diesel or gas heater. My van is gas powered but I could rig up a small aux diesel tank easily. I would prefer a single fuel source though but a few comments here and there by others has me concerned about both the price and safety of the gas espar.

Mark
beernutmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:36 AM   #20

Hi Mark,

I doubt i'll try setting the webasto to only run on high, i like the fact that in cycles through the different levels as opposed to all or nothing. I'd rather take the time to clean it out more often than only running it on high. Also when i spoke to webasto a while ago i mentioned that and he said no they're designed to run at all the different power levels and it wouldn't help to run it at the high setting all the time... hopefully this isn't the same guy that told me it did not need to be adjusted for high altitudes I run the smaller 2000 as opposed to the 3500 and that might help a bit...

What safety problems are people having with the gas espars? Gas powered espars and webastos are widely used in Europe and have been for a long time. Sure diesel is inherently a safer / less volatile fuel than gas but i've never heard of anyone having a safety issue with a gas or webasto powered heater.

I wound up spending about 3 weeks in aspen, keystone, fruita, and lake tahoe running the heater between 5000 and 9500 feet with most of that between 8000 and 9500 with no problems. I've even run it a few times here in Bend now since i still haven't drained my water system and we've had a few chilly nights! I haven't had the opportunity yet but i do plan to take it apart to see if there is any carbon buildup inside.