Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #11

Re: General discussion on Airbags

The bag you have pictured is on a custom setup for a specific application with specific needs. Not the bag we generally use, our kit requires at least a 6" lift spring to clear everything.

But, it compresses @ 2.10" so I don't see how it can restrict bump travel as long as its not aired up. The whole point of having these bags is to have the adjustment under different conditions.

ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 06:02 PM   #12

Here is the suspension @ full droop

ujointoffroad.com
Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #13

Chris, i like your idea with the "non fixed" bag. But doesn´t it make a constand noice (clack...clack) if it is under low pressure and the road is bumpy?
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:04 AM   #14

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

In stock form, when bottomed out, the axle tube makes contact with the stock rubber bump stop under the frame and compresses it.

With the air bags shown, there is no way that the axle can travel up as far as it can in stock form. If the bag compresses to 2.10", there can't be more than a couple of inches of bump travel from the ride height shown.

For reference, the leaf spring is 2.5" wide. The bag can't be much more than 4" tall and if it compresses to 2.1" then it is limiting bump travel significantly to only a few inches.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:05 AM   #15

As long as you have a few psi it's fine. Also depends on lift height, these bags are designed around our 6" lift. So far zero complaints from customers running them.
ujointoffroad.com
Old 01-30-2014, 05:09 AM   #16

Baja-- there's no way that this spring will ever flatten out to hit those stock bump stops. This is is a 15k ambulance with a 6" lift spring. I've had all of my vans twisted up as much as possible with this bag setup, not an issue.
ujointoffroad.com
Old 01-30-2014, 05:19 AM   #17

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Baja-- there's no way that this spring will ever flatten out to hit those stock bump stops. This is is a 15k ambulance with a 6" lift spring. I've had all of my vans twisted up as much as possible with this bag setup, not an issue.
Any way you look at it, it only has a couple of inches of bump travel from the pictured ride height and I am assuming (because it looks like it) that it is "aired up" and providing some lift as pictured. Let the air out and you have even less bump travel from ride height.

Am I missing something?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Any way you look at it, it only has a couple of inches of bump travel from the pictured ride height and I am assuming (because it looks like it) that it is "aired up" and providing some lift as pictured. Let the air out and you have even less bump travel from ride height.

Am I missing something?
Probably ~4-5" of up travel on this particular rig. Yes, this pic is aired up. I can have him measure the bump travel @ ride with no air but like I said before this is a specific rig with specific needs, not a "normal" 4x4 van. It has a 6" rear spring but its extremely thick due to the high capacity. A thinner spring pack would allow more bump travel. Can't have it all....

Here's V4 somewhat twisted up, with bags.

ujointoffroad.com
Old 01-31-2014, 03:39 PM   #19

I am running the UJOR setup and so far I have three experiences I can offer. Maybe not exactly the discussion but close.

1. I haul a 9800lbs 30' cargo trailer once a week on the weekend for setting up sound equipment at a mobile campus. Granted I have an 8" lift on the van so even with the trailer hitched up there is not a massive sag, however when I am dropping into certain parts of the drive way the trailer will drag the hitch due to the different peaks in this parking lot. Airing up the bags (60-80PSI) a good amount clears that and then letting the air out to avoid tail dragging cures the decline. Not relating to this discussion I understand just added it in there.

2. I have driven the van up through a good amount of washboard ridden forest roads already and some pothole heavens at pretty good speed. Deflated at around 5-10psi there is little to no bump or harsh ride problems. At around 30-40 PSI is where I have felt the ride get a little harder in the rear. (no that's what she saids pls)

3. I recently (in retrospect poor choice) decided to go follow some jeepin friends in Tahuya and do a little muddin and rock crawling. After bending my passenger step pretty good in the rear on a rock, I did the same line with about 80psi in the rear bags and that added at least 2" of additional clearance while in the same position where I had rubbed prior. Granted your not driving over this stuff at any speed but the bags did afford additional clearance under the load and pitch I was at. Rolled off and then aired back down to continue pursuit. Low point of the day was cutting off my passenger step so it didn't rip off as it was hanging by just the front mount. High point of the day was rolling through some deep mud and winching out a jeep that got stuck, and then taking the same line with ease in a van. At the beginning of the day I was laughed at by the whole group and at the end of the day people all had a different opinion of what vans can do.

Now time to weld those mounts back on so my wife can board the beast without a step stool.
1980 Vanagon Westy (Taylor)
ProfessorPaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:31 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorPaddle
I am running the UJOR setup and so far I have three experiences I can offer. Maybe not exactly the discussion but close.

1. I haul a 9800lbs 30' cargo trailer once a week on the weekend for setting up sound equipment at a mobile campus. Granted I have an 8" lift on the van so even with the trailer hitched up there is not a massive sag, however when I am dropping into certain parts of the drive way the trailer will drag the hitch due to the different peaks in this parking lot. Airing up the bags (60-80PSI) a good amount clears that and then letting the air out to avoid tail dragging cures the decline. Not relating to this discussion I understand just added it in there.

2. I have driven the van up through a good amount of washboard ridden forest roads already and some pothole heavens at pretty good speed. Deflated at around 5-10psi there is little to no bump or harsh ride problems. At around 30-40 PSI is where I have felt the ride get a little harder in the rear. (no that's what she saids pls)

3. I recently (in retrospect poor choice) decided to go follow some jeepin friends in Tahuya and do a little muddin and rock crawling. After bending my passenger step pretty good in the rear on a rock, I did the same line with about 80psi in the rear bags and that added at least 2" of additional clearance while in the same position where I had rubbed prior. Granted your not driving over this stuff at any speed but the bags did afford additional clearance under the load and pitch I was at. Rolled off and then aired back down to continue pursuit. Low point of the day was cutting off my passenger step so it didn't rip off as it was hanging by just the front mount. High point of the day was rolling through some deep mud and winching out a jeep that got stuck, and then taking the same line with ease in a van. At the beginning of the day I was laughed at by the whole group and at the end of the day people all had a different opinion of what vans can do.
I have about the same experience. I usually keep mine deflated to about 20lbs on the trail, 5-10 on washboard and use the bags aired up when/if I get in a jam. I've been able to get enough clearance to edge out of some situations. I don't know if they limit down travel and I don't have limiter straps (or don't know if I even need them) but I haven't had any issues yet.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote