Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #11

What size louvers did you install?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 07-19-2016, 04:40 PM   #12

Garage
I went with "large" size. Looking at other forum members who went the same route.
firedude67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #13

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Years ago, on VW bugs we would put spacers under the hood hinge bolts which held the hood up a bit allowing lots more air movement. I wonder if something like that would improve air flow? It would be easy to test and reverse if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggearhead View Post
I'm a new van-er, but I'm a VW guy, and familiar with the decklid space-out trick as well. I did a similar thing on a few of my Toyota rockcrawlers, because you have very low speeds and high loads. I used spacers at the hinge bolts, spacing up the back of the hood, giving another exit for heat while moving slow or parked - reduced vapor lock quite a bit on one of them. At speed it allowed cool air in, like cowl induction. I think the vents can only help. Any concern about water entry?
To clear up any questions-
These louvers are pointed toward the windshield. They help air/heat escape. Before, air would enter the engine compartment through the front radiator/grill area. From there, it didn't have much space to exit. A lot of heat was transferred to the cabin area through the doghouse. Or kept in the engine compartment.
firedude67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:20 PM   #14

One important part of having hood vents most people overlook is the release of heat after driving that would normally cook all the plastic parts.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote