Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2016, 03:57 PM   #1

Garage
Got Hood Louvers Molded into Hood

So, after running high temps and doing research here, I decided to get some RunCool louvers. I don't know exactly the ECT difference since I don't have a way to monitor but just took Hercules on a five day journey through Central Oregon and they worked like a charm. Transmission fan kicked on a few times on the climb up to Crater Lake and again in the Steens but the engine stayed cool. Noticeable drop on the temp gauge.

I wanted a more stock looking hood so I took the louvers to a local body shop. They used panel bonder to "blend" the edges of the louvers to the hood and repainted the whole hood which needed it anyway. I really like the atheistics and function of the new hood.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2004.jpg   IMG_2062.jpg  

firedude67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #2

Love it. I might do that to mine!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:20 PM   #3

Garage
That looks great. I was thinking I could get a fiberglass person to do something similar, but with fiberglass.
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:37 PM   #4

Garage
Thanks guys! I am really happy on how the project turned out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexGX View Post
That looks great. I was thinking I could get a fiberglass person to do something similar, but with fiberglass.
The body shop recommended using "panel bonder". I hadn't heard of it but they said many new cars are assembled with it instead of welding. Including the F-150. Maybe someone on here has more info.
Old 07-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #5

Looks nice and discrete.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:37 PM   #6

Those look great. Super clean. I notice you have a 6.0. Does anyone know if louvers are necessary for a 7.3?
SteelheadJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 09:51 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
Those look great. Super clean. I notice you have a 6.0. Does anyone know if louvers are necessary for a 7.3?
I can only imagine the louvers would help to alleviate heat on a 7.3 also. I had to think about a while, but there is no where for the heat to go in the engine compartment. Air comes in through the radiator/grill and then where? Giving the hood spaces for the air to flow only makes since to me. After driving and shutting down the motor, I could barely hold my hand over the louver vents for a few seconds. Also the cabin feels cooler.

These are only my opinions after the first outing with the louvers in the hood. Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadJones View Post
I put them on mine, trying to bring down temperatures. I didn't notice a significant drop, but maybe a bit.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 09:09 PM   #9

Years ago, on VW bugs we would put spacers under the hood hinge bolts which held the hood up a bit allowing lots more air movement. I wonder if something like that would improve air flow? It would be easy to test and reverse if needed.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #10

I'm a new van-er, but I'm a VW guy, and familiar with the decklid space-out trick as well. I did a similar thing on a few of my Toyota rockcrawlers, because you have very low speeds and high loads. I used spacers at the hinge bolts, spacing up the back of the hood, giving another exit for heat while moving slow or parked - reduced vapor lock quite a bit on one of them. At speed it allowed cool air in, like cowl induction. I think the vents can only help. Any concern about water entry?
greggearhead is offline   Reply With Quote