Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #1

Gray Water Tank Melted

My plastic gray water tank melted and now has a huge gaping hole in it. I need to post a pic as it is quite impressive. I noticed that it was installed by sportsmobile remarkably close to what is either the catalytic converter or the muffler and am assuming the heat from this melted the tank. I drive a dodge extended van and am wondering where the graywater tanks are traditionally installed on our vans? The previous owner drove this van for ten years and claims to have never had this issue. I just got done with a six week trip across america and it wasn't until the last week while driving through the mountains of California the tank melted...is this an issue with the catatalytic converter or muffler just getting too hot or is this a known issue and I need to replace my gray water tank with a metal version or install some sort of heat barrier around the tank?

Many thanks,
L

Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #2

Re: Gray Water Tank Melted

The only thing I can think is the gray water tank would maybe not melt with water inside. A combination of use and short trips in coincidentally the right order could prevent this. Mine is inside, but I know other builds have the outside. That or muffler work could have been done and relocated the muffler or cat closer. Hard to say, but I wouldn't plan on putting it back there... good thing it melted and didn't burn.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #3

The tank did have some water in it at the time which may explain why the hole is towards the top as it will still hold water up to a certain point and then pours out of the hole. However, by design the tank shouldn't melt empty or not and regardless of how long I have been driving IMHO. You got me thinking about the fire danger...much appreciated...I guess I should remove the tank to alleviate that worry.
I guess my next step is to contact sportsmobile and see about getting some sort of light weight rust proof metal tank as this would take care of the melting or fire dager.

Jage - have you noticed from looking at gray water tanks installed on the under bellies of our vans if they are traditionally installed close to the catalytic converter or mufflers? Anyone else are the gray water tanks installed close to the catalytic converter or muffler on your vans? Has this been an issue with anyone else?

L
Always looking...4x4 Van 19ft or shorter. Sleeps 4 - two together, two separately; 4 forward facing seats with shoulder seatbelts, interior shower, water heater, 110 power, sink, aux. heat, aux air conditioner, aux. battery, generator - all at a price a school teacher could afford...help me Obi-Wan Kenobi you're my only hope.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #4

if the cat converter is no good and/or plugged, it will get much hotter than one that is working correctly.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisnapr
if the cat converter is no good and/or plugged, it will get much hotter than one that is working correctly.
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:01 PM   #6

Your van is over ten years old. IF the gray water tank is near the converter that could be the issue. If your vehicle is out of tune the converter could be much hotter then normal. If/when you get the tank repaired add a heat shield between it and the converter. If you are handy you could very easily patch the gray water tank and then add a heat shield.

The Green TARDIS
LenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
That or muffler work could have been done and relocated the muffler or cat closer.
Jage you just gave me an epiphany. There was some body damage done while on vacation when a tire shop replaced my tire midway through my trip. I noted the body damage immediately with the tire shop and since they are a chain they said they would repair the body damage when I get back into my home town with their local shop. The side fender was bent and I now can see this also pushed the graywater tank closer to the catalytic converter thus melting the tank. Should be interesting attempting to get them to pay for this repair as well...

L
Old 07-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
That or muffler work could have been done and relocated the muffler or cat closer.
Jage you just gave me an epiphany. There was some body damage done while on vacation when a tire shop replaced my tire midway through my trip. I noted the body damage immediately with the tire shop and since they are a chain they said they would repair the body damage when I get back into my home town with their local shop. The side fender was bent and I now can see this also pushed the graywater tank closer to the catalytic converter thus melting the tank. Should be interesting attempting to get them to pay for this repair as well...

L
Take lots of pictures now, as "evidence."
Old 07-21-2011, 11:30 PM   #9

Here are some pics...wondering if the few inches it pushed my gray water tank over really would have been enough to cause the damage. Anyone know if the tanks normally would have a heat shield between the muffler and the grey water tank installed by sportsmobile?

L
Attached Thumbnails
Melt Damage.JPG   Body Damage - Web Pic.jpg  
Old 07-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #10

So what's the white plastic looking thing to the outside of your gray water tank?

My SMB is a 2010 Ford RB E-250 and the gray water tank is 6 gallon plastic tubular shaped. It's nestled between the outside body of the van and a chassis beam. The muffler is on the other side of this beam so there's no heat coming near the water tank and not need for a heat shield. I also noted my muffler is considerably further back than yours as far as how it would overlap alongside the GW tank. Just the last 8 inches or so of the GW tank are back far enough to be in line with the start of the muffler.

Looks like SMB used to install bigger gray water tanks, as the web page advertises 8 and 12 gallon units. Wonder if chassis beam positioning changes forced this downsizing of GW tanks.
joey2cool is offline   Reply With Quote