Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #1

How long should it take for an EGR/Oil Cooler replacement...

I have a 2006 SMB fully loaded and looks like the EGR and Oil Cooler were in need of replacement. I am about to find out the tab, but they have had my vehicle for a couple weeks. Hard way to learn that this shop doesn't know shit about diesels. Good 4x4 shop, but terrible on 6.0's in particular. Well, 2 weeks and me finally showing them online information that it was the EGR/Oil Cooler and not the head gasket, and I am supposed to pick my old pal Mobi up in about 20 minutes... I have this feeling they have 20 or so hours into it, and if so, I would love the input of other van owners that have had this done. Bullet proof told me it should take about 6-8 hours total. Getting very nervous... and could use some back up info...

Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

Re: How long should it take for an EGR/Oil Cooler replacemen

7-9 on a van depending on amount of decontamination needed and if a coolant filter is being added.
Add a couple hours for diagnostics and testing.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #3

Thank you...

4K with semi bullet proof solution. Drove for 5 miles and there is something very wrong...

DON'T EVER GO TO JOHNS 4X4 in Boulder Colorado. Brought the SMB in there for three things. Brake upgrade, Hydro Boost addition, and EGR... First day I get the new brakes, they didn't seal the rear axle and heavy weight oil all over the wheels... a week later, they can't get the hydro boost to work, but I need the vehicle for the weekend. THEY FORGOT TO TIGHTEN THE LUG NUTS ON 2 WHEELS!!!
Now the EGR is replaced and they have returned the vehicle in a manner that it idled rough, then 5 miles and the check engine comes on, and then vibration at 55 from the engine... oh god what did I do.

Should have handled this differently, and a lot of you will say I shoulda pulled out after the first debacle... well, you would be right... I am a jackass.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Site Team

Fingers crossed there's an easy fix for your van.

We do appreciate you posting your experience here. Many times it's hard to admit publicly that you've given money to incompetent people, as it can be embarrassing. However, posting your experiences might prevent someone else form making the same mistake. Please let us know how things are finally resolved.

Herb
Old 07-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #5

Hmmm rough idle doesn't usually come with a failed EGR cooler unless its ingesting LOTS of coolant (at that point, that's usually the last run before it hydrolocks upon shut-down). What other symptoms were you having? What did the turbo exhaust vanes look like?

Of course, the EGR cooler may have failed at the same time that other components failed (it happens on that motor). That's why I always run through a full 2+ hour diagnostics on the 6.0 even when the the primary symptom is easy to diagnose.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #6

Sorry to hear that.... Frustrating is an understatement.

We're at ~15-16 hrs for a full tear down to the heads and re build. This includes cleaning the intake and turbo. We have a van on the books for a FULL 6.0 upgrade. Head studs, the whole 9 yards. Yanking the body for that one!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote